CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL-DX SSB (CQ WPX) : How were condx ?

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL-DX SSB (CQ WPX) : How were condx ?
From: "Yannick DEVOS (XV4Y)" <yannick.devos@online.fr>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:18:21 +0700
Thanks Tom, Dave, for your comments,

Yes I knew the Moxon was rather sensitive to its environment.
However, since it was working so well to Europe, I was surprised to have bad
performances to NA.
I think I will keep it heading 330 degrees so it give me a could coverage of
Europe, part of Africa, part of NA and even some part of SA.

Two years ago I built a portable Moxon for 17m.
While it was exhibiting a good SWR and allowing me to make some DX QSO for the
first time on 17m, it was far from being like a real Moxon.
The "tip-to-tip" coupling was good because the "legs" were supported by the
spreaders.
The main parts of the driver and reflector were not however, and they were
neither perfectly straight neither perfectly parallel when the antenna was
swagging with the wind.
If you want a Moxon beam to perform nominally, it has to keep perfectly its
shape.
That said, you can still have fair performances being a little bit of frequency
(using your ATU) or having the elements not perfectly in place.

73,
Yan.
---
Yannick DEVOS - XV4Y