CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] RES: Calling The Kettle Black

To: <eric@k3na.org>, "Eric Rosenberg" <wd3q@starpower.net>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] RES: Calling The Kettle Black
From: "py5eg" <py5eg@iesa.com.br>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 14:48:28 -0200
Hi Eric:
I really like your idea.
Lets talk with the sponsors.
73
Oms

PY5EG
Atilano de Oms
py5eg@iesa.com.br

-----Mensagem original-----
De: cq-contest-bounces@contesting.com
[mailto:cq-contest-bounces@contesting.com]Em nome de Eric Scace K3NA
Enviada em: quarta-feira, 12 de dezembro de 2007 11:47
Para: Eric Rosenberg
Cc: cq-contest@contesting.com
Assunto: Re: [CQ-Contest] Calling The Kettle Black

   In a past contest years ago, I sent information about a rules
violation to the contest sponsor.  Nothing was heard back, and as far as
I knew nothing was done about it.  That doesn't encourage
self-enforcement of the rules by "reporting apparent cheaters".

   We are dealing with individuals' public reputations.  I certainly am
reluctant to stand up in public and say "Mr X is a cheater!"  My
"evidence" could be mistaken.  And, importantly, Mr X has no way to
clear himself if he is innocent of the charges, or the evidence isn't
solid enough.

   Folks may be more likely to send in a report of apparent rules
violation to a group (need not be the contest sponsor) that operates
according to a well-understood procedure for investigating complaints.
The individuals making up that investigation may well be different for
each complaint (or group of complaints) -- but should be unrelated to
the source of the complaints, the operator who has been accused, and
perhaps even the contest sponsor.  The procedure to investigate
complaints should be standardized, known to the contest public,
uniformly applied, and include safeguards against abuse.  The accused
must have a way to present evidence contradicting the complaint.  There
should be a time limit to the investigation, so that complaints don't
just linger.  The result should be a comprehensive summary of the facts
(not opinions) available to any interested member of the public, and the
accused's rebuttal (if any) included.  Before publication, an
independent check by a few persons not part of that investigating panel
should verify the investigation and draft report complied with the
procedures set out for investigating and reporting on complaints.

   When a comprehensive set of facts are available, interested people
can draw their own conclusions.  And contest sponsor(s) can make their
own decision about how to treat the log submission of the accused
operator now or in the future.