CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Clicks (short)

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Clicks (short)
From: al_lorona@agilent.com (al_lorona@agilent.com)
Date: Thu Mar 8 16:43:19 2001

Hi, Everybody,

It's getting kind of funny reading this thread. You guys haven't really
looked too closely at the QST reviews where they show (and for the moment,
they are still showing it, until CW finally dies; <---editorial comment) the
radio under test's (RUT) keying waveforms.

A lot of them are pretty bad. The first dit of the RUT is frequently
truncated, has a leading overshoot (commonly referred to as a "power
spike"), or has no waveshaping whatsoever. In fact, I'll go out on a limb
and say that the majority of modern rigs, (especially of the YaeComWood
variety; <---editorial comment), suffer in varying degrees from this malady.
Don't believe me? Go back and look. For a point of reference, be sure to
reacquaint yourself with the screen shot in the K1 product review in the
latest issue of that venerable publication.

The first step in the change process is denial...

R,

Al W6LX