CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] arrl correction factor

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] arrl correction factor
From: "Martin , LU5DX" <lu5dx@lucg.com.ar>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 09:43:29 -0300
Excellent analysis Tom and I understand the situation in the US.

On a world wide basis it's pretty different in most cases. Taking the ARRL
DX test as an example. Consider  a station here in LU, entering M2 with heck
of a big amount of engineering, tons of aluminum up on the towers and a
station in the Caribbean with probably a quarter of the aerials. We'll end
up working 8500+ Qs and the Caribbean will work 12000 + Qs. That really
don't have to do with better engineering, better antennas or better ops,
it's about distance.
DX Contesting in most cases has been reduced to finding a good spot in zones
33/35 for CQ WW tests and zones 7/8/9/10 for ARRL DX tests.
The amount of effort spent in building a competitive station and the effort
it takes to complete a DX QSO based on the distance no longer is a key
factor.

But you are right, Caribean or Zone 33 stations at some point may say, hey
guys, you enjoy and advantage on 28 Mhz when SFI is under 90. In that case
it's up to the contest organizers how much they want to analyze these
factors.

What I would like to say though is that we have statistical data to analyze
the conditions along a given path from almost anywhere in the world to
anywhere in the world.

Thing is I made some calculations and the resulting data set (1.8 Mhz not
included) will have over 300 million rows. Not even close to what we
consider a really big data set nowadays at all, but a pretty important one
though :-)

300 millions possibilities result from taking into account DX Location (DX
Countries and Call Area districts in large countries like the USA, Canada,
Russia, VK, and others),  SFI (from 30 to 200 in steps of 5), K index (from
1 to 10 in steps of 1) and date ( to consider seasonal conditions).

That data set will allow to assign a figure of merit for each QSO based on
SNR numbers over a given path. Calculations should be done using average
power say about 500 W and average antennas at average height.

Whether stations use more or less power and better antennas is not part of
what we need to generate the data set.

I don't think anybody would want to go that route, but in fact it is
possible to establish such scoring system.

Just like you I'm in favor of analyzing all the possibilities I don't want
to just vent my opinion because I'm impacted. But at least let's all come to
an agreement where statements like:

"..I've never complained and I'm in the black hole..", "..things are okay
the way they are..." "...move to Canary Islands..." or things like that are
not part of a serious discussion.

I'm talking about generating a data set with the results of propagation
analysis software to have those figures of merit beforehand, otherwise,
contest organizers will have to include the algorithm in their log checking
software and run the calculations on the fly...

Vy 73!

Martin, Lu5dx