CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Leveling the palying field

To: Kevin Stockton <n5dx2005@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Leveling the palying field
From: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 20:05:16 -0400
One thing I find interesting about this "Lets level the playing field"
discussion is that every serious contester works hard to make sure its
NOT a level playing field.  We try to gain the upper hand through
better/higher/more antennas, beams and anything else we can buy or
build that will "give us the edge we need" over the competition.  Same
thing in the shack - newer/better/quieter radios, magic boxes that we
think will help that little bit - all in an effort to win.

Sure - geography plays a part.  So does the operator skill, the
ionosphere and a hundred other variables - some under our control,
others not.  Add it all up, and even despite our best efforts -
sometimes we don't or can't win a certain competition.  Life's just
not fair sometimes.  What to do?  Well, we can give up, but that's too
easy!  A quitter can never win.

>From where I live, I know that no matter what I do, or how many
antennas I install, there are certain contests that I cannot win.
Instead, I choose to still get on, do my best and have fun.  At the
same time, I have built a station that CAN and HAS won other
competitions.  You win some  - you loose some, and I am sure I am not
alone in this regard..

Bottom line - compete on your own terms.  If winning is so darned
important, and geography is standing in your way, then I guess you
need to move.  If you don't want/need/can't move, then I guess winning
is not THAT important.  Changing the rules to hobble the competition
in order to "level the playing field" will not change that, and if it
did, I am not sure I would want to win that way.

If you want a level playing field - well - that is what the WRTC is
for, but first you need to level the playing field to get there :-)

Tom - VE3CX