CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Distanced-Based Contest Concept

To: Jim George <n3bb@mindspring.com>,Yuri VE3DZ <ve3dz@rigexpert.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Distanced-Based Contest Concept
From: Guy Molinari <guy_molinari@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:04:30 +0000
Hey Jim,
     What about also adding weighting for the low bands like the way WPX does?
 After all the lower bands are tougher, and it provides an incentive for those
ops who toil through the night "diggin' em out.".

73 - Guy, N7ZG

> Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 15:22:17 -0500> To: ve3dz@rigexpert.net> From:
> n3bb@mindspring.com> CC: cq-contest@contesting.com> Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest]
> Distanced-Based Contest Concept> > You are correct, Yuri. The CQWW will
> always be based on the WAZ zones as > mults along with DXCC mults.> > My
> recommendation is for a new contest, based on using:> > (1) distance as a
> basis for the value of a contact, and also permitting a > contact with one's
> own country, and,> > (2) mults being a zone rather than a DXCC entity. Using
> DXCCs means that > every contest will be dominated by those who can have the
> best skip into > Europe.> > Using a grid square and also a zone (such as the
> ITU zone) as the exchange > will make copying the exchange meaningful, enable
> the scoring to calculate > the "distance value," and the zones will make the
> mults exciting. It's time > to get rid of the DXCC entity as a mult. The IARU
> uses the ITU zones, which > is good, but it messes things up by (IMHO) having
> al
 l the HQ mults, which > is another way of making EU dominate, and it does not
give credit for > distance.> > That's the proposal, and it would be interesting
for some sponsoring body > to adopt these concepts.> > Jim George N3BB> > At
04:37 PM 10/21/2006 -0400, you wrote:> >George... with all due respect - this
is an Utopia.> >The CQ magazine has WAZ Award program and I don't think they
would like the> >idea to get rid of CQ Zones as exchange.> >> >73 Yuri VE3DZ>
>> >----- Original Message -----> >From: "Jim George" <n3bb@mindspring.com>>
Distanced-Based Contest Concept> >> >> > > This is a great idea. The grid
system already is in place, and so every> > > entrant will enter a grid with
his/her electronic submission. The score> > > would be calculated automatically
both by the contest software (real time)> > > and as part of the log ch
 eck process. The concept of a "QSO and Distance"> > > based contest would be a
fair one. Mults could be ITU Zones, so the> > > "Euro-Centric-Mults" nature of
many contests is minimized. This would be a> > > good test of skill with
minimized geographic location advantages. Coupled> > > with a one week max log
submission requirement (exceptions if approved due> > > to travelers to remote
locations, etc) and results within two to three> > > weeks, we would have a
good system.> > >> > > Jim George N3BB> > >> >>