CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Survey results - part 1

To: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Survey results - part 1
From: John W <xnewyorka@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 11:44:47 -0500
I agree with most of Kelly's post, but I have a slight correction / elaboration
/ justification on two of the items:

> 1. Unnecessarily repeating phonetics. In most cases, you should be able to
> say “nq6n 599 mb”. Only if it’s really challenging or a fill has been
> requested does it make sense to say “november quebec….” He knows who he is!

If the running station is fairly sure, but not 100% positive, that they got the
calling station's callsign correct, and the running station is certain that the
calling station can copy him clearly (i.e. the frequency is clear and there is
a good S/N ratio on the calling station's end), the running station may decide
it's worth it to take a _little_ extra time with the qso to get confirmation of
the calling station's call by just repeating the caller's callsign
phonetically.  Of course, he is making the implicit assumption that the caller
will be listening carefully and will proactively correct him if he has made an
error. Good operators will usually make the correction, but sometimes even a
great operator doesn't notice that the running station got his call wrong. (For
example, see K5TR's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cOfAixTWDI )   If
the running station has a really low confidence that he got the call correct,
he should say something like "November quebec six november 59 Manitoba and
please confirm I have your call correct".

> 4. Sending his/her call twice in the exchange when I’ve already sent it back
> to them correctly. “Oh, crap. Did I miss a letter? Should I ask for a fill?”

When the running station is on a frequency that is not very clear, and the
calling station replies to the CQ with their call, and the running station
replies by giving the calling station's call and report, if the calling station
hears "November [CQ CONTEST HOTEL GERMANY SIX NOVEMBER] November", they don't
know whether the running station actually got their call correct.  In the
interest of expedience, they could assume the running station got it right. If
the running station did get it wrong, they are going to lose the contact in log
checking.  If the calling station wants to be kind and polite, he will include
his call again (ONCE, not twice) to give the running station a chance to
compare what he hears the second time against what he already has in his log,
just in case he DID get it wrong.  Yes, this means the runner needs to wait a
little longer for the exchange to finish. That added cost is essentially the
cost of a little "insurance policy" that the calling station made him purchase
in order to make sure that the runner got the call correct.

In summary, both of the above scenarios can be summarized as follows:

When there is not complete certainty that both the sent and received messages
were copied correctly, a simple repeat (with no extra fluff) can be used as a
risk mitigation strategy to improve overall accuracy by catching at least some
of the cases where a call was miscopied.

As someone who usually runs low power or QRP, I use both of these strategies
regularly.  Since my logs are usually extremely clean (error rates of 0.4% or
less), I think I can assume these techniques are working for me.

73,

John
W2ID