CQ-Contest

RE: [CQ-Contest] Recruiting women into contesting

To: barry@mxg.com, kenharker@kenharker.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Recruiting women into contesting
From: "AB2E Darrell" <ab2e@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:29:58 -0400

Bravo Barry, sounds like Judy has contest potential. I would say FD is a great place to get YLs and others into contesting. It's sort of a non-competitive way to get started.
As for YLs specifically, besides FD how about the following?
*Many YLs still participate I believe in the YL net on 20(I think it's around 14.332). Possibly if some contesters check in to the net and make the suggestion that YLs participate in the contests.
*There is a specific YL/OM contest. If a couple of contest clubs decided to 'adopt' that contest, get on the air and really give them some activity, it might encourage them to operate other contests.
*Actively recruit YLs for contests like state QSO parties, or some contests with slower rates. This will give the newer contesters a chance to build up speed and stamina to a full contest effort.
*Let's try to break the perception that ham radio and contesting is just another 'male' pasttime.
*Have experienced contesters hold an open house during a couple of weekends. Encourage YLs, young ops, and any other ham who might be a potential contester. If it's a phone or CW contest, make sure they can hear what's happening during the exchange.

*encourage casual or part time operation to get started.

Well, there's probably some other ideas out there.....
73 Darrell AB2E

From: "Barry Merrill" <barry@mxg.com>
To: "'Kenneth E. Harker'" <kenharker@kenharker.com>,"'CQ Contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:56:59 -0500

Competition is generally a male attribute.

I convinced Judy, KA5PQD, to work a few stations with her
(Novice forever) call during Field Day on 10 SSB on
Saturday evening.

She was not interested in CQing, and had never tuned
in an SSB station, but (unaided) found 10 stations
in her first hour (including a KP4 with an X in his
suffix using Xylophone for his phonetic!).

She also experimented with her own choice of phonetics,
initially using Kappa Alpha Five Papa Quebec Delta, but
soon reverted to Kilo Alpha when she realized that few
hams knew their greek alphabet.

After supper, she came back for 20 more Qs in her second hour; she
was very satisfied that she had learned how to tune and work stations
on SSB, but she had no interest in making any more Qs on Sunday.

Barry, W5GN