CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] CR3L Should Reconsider Submission Catagory

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CR3L Should Reconsider Submission Catagory
From: Ken Low <kenke3x@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 07:58:32 -0500
KU8E wrote:

"Kelly, It's much more than just trying to gain an unfair advantage. Please
reread the the first paragraph which contains words like "respect , fairness,
ethics and fellowship". But the last one is the most important word - " sore
loser "

I have been reading this thread with interest, and have a few thoughts (not to
Jeff but in general):

Don't I recall reading once that KH6IJ used to start sending serial numbers
with #100 or #500, or incremented them by two or something, with the specific
goal of psyching out his competition?   And he's in the Hall of Fame.   I
searched for the article where I read that, but was unsuccessful - anyone know
where it is?

Was KH6IJ's tactic 'poor sportsmanship' or just 'crafty'?   That's not so
different from posting any score on an official 'brag room' site like 3830, in
fact less so since it's after the event was over.

Anyway, with respect to CR3L, there's no way to know why their category was
changed.   Maybe they examined their log after the contest, discovered they did
not comply with the M/2 rules, and reclassified their log so they would not be
disqualified.

Maybe they had a new operator who did his best but didn't know the rules, and
inadvertently made too many band changes, and it was only after the contest
when a review of the log revealed it.  If so, this reflector should be lauding
their fair play, instead of sniping about 'category hopping'.

Or maybe they selected the wrong menu option on the 3830 form when they
reported the score - I have done that before too.

It needs to be acknowledged that for any M/2 effort to outscore a M/M effort
from the same Zone is impressive in the first place, if indeed that's what
happened.   It implies the M/2 team had superior operators, more hardware,
better engineering, better strategy, better propagation or a combination of all.

It's no different from an Unassisted operator outscoring an Assisted operator
with identical stations from the same location in the same event - it shows the
Unassisted operator did a superior job of operating than the Assisted operator
during that one event.

For example, LZ4AX (Unassisted) just beat my LP Assisted score in CQWW CW from
a similarly equipped station.   Alex executed better strategy than I did, and
it simply provides motivation for me for the next event.   Even if my claimed
score holds and I get a plaque for USA LP Assisted, it won't mean much.

A wooden block on the wall means very little if you know your score was not
worthy of it, or someone else out-operated you.   That's another important
aspect of sportsmanship.

73,

Ken KE3X