CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] To cut or not to cut?

To: Alan Dewey <aldewey@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] To cut or not to cut?
From: Mirko S57AD <miroslav.sibilja@amis.net>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 17:00:26 +0200
2012/5/31 Alan Dewey <aldewey@aol.com>

> <snip>
> Seems to me the use of cut number is more prevelant outside North America.
>  Or am I imagining that?
> <snip>

It has been prevalent in former YU local contests held on 80m (usualy 2
hour events where every second counted), in pre-computer ages.  Say, one of
buddies heard me and tailended with short  AO, and I replied with brief AO
A (for YU1AO 5NN 011) and got N (for 5NN 009) from him. So it was possible
to have 5 - 6 contacts per minute sometimes.  Later it became epidemical
and people started to omit prefix even while sending CQ, so local contest
sponsors stated in rules explicitely that a whole callsign should be used
(after all, it is illegal to use partial calls). But while I worked as
wireless operator it was common practice to use cut numbers in long
messages with lot of numerals...

73  Mirko, S57AD