CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] The Chosen

To: HH Brakob <hbrakob@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Chosen
From: Gerry Hull <gerry@yccc.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 17:26:58 -0500
FB Hans!

I had about given up on CQ-Contest.  Your post is quite refreshing and
speaks the truth.

It's not as bad as all that, but close.

If we piss off all the new guys, guess what?  There will be no one left to
work.  The top 200 guys in contesting can all work each other in the first
hour.  How does that sound?

Not so great, eh?

Luckily, we have WWROF, CQ, ARRL, FRC, PVRC, YCCC and a bunch of magical
clubs in Europe and Asia doing amazing things to educate newbies about the
finer aspects of Amateur Radio contesting.   This, hopefully, will
counterbalance the piss-n-moan crowd on here and on the air.

This weekend, on 75m I listened to a heckler bash VE6RAC with foul language
and interference during RAC.  Certainly, we have those jerks in ham radio.
However, I was very proud of the VE6RAC op.  He handled himself with
professionalism, and stood his ground.   The jerk eventually got tired and
left.

For my personal choices, I do CW contesting the most, where I run into a
LOT of good ops.  My room mate when I got out of college was a commercial
station operator, and many times I visited him at work.  What awful ops
many of the marine guys were!   30-45wpm CW in CQWW is awesome.  Rapid fire
exchanges and high rates.  In-n-out. Newbies to CW learn the ropes.   CW is
still rocking in the ham bands and will forever.

Do I eschew phone contesting?  Not a chance!   There's no thrill like
high-rate phone contesting!   To get those rates, you need a symbiotic
audience who understands how to do rapid-fire QSOs.  Yep, you are going to
run into those "Please copy" folks.  However, most of them are intelligent,
and, if they listen to your 200+ hour run, they will come to understand
that contesting is a minimal-information activity.

On the internet, I'm on the Facebook Ham Radio forum.  I try to help new
DXers and Contesters understand the game.  I told some newbie DXers that
LISTENING is the primary way you are going to work a DXpedition.  It only
takesa few transmission at the right time to work a new one!  These kinds
of tips help us by helping them.

In my 40+ years of hamming, I've never met a bunch of more intelligent,
interesting people than in the contesting community.   Pretty opinionated,
but that's part of the game.

Seasons Greetings, all.   See ya in the next one.

73, Gerry W1VE / VE1RM
Happily remoting from VY1AAA and K2LE/1 these days