CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] text of latest contest exchanges

To: CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] text of latest contest exchanges
From: Gerry Hull <gerry@yccc.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 16:07:38 -0500
IMHO, many of the non-signers are not at the top of this game.   If you are
spotted wrong, the lack of sending a callsign
will lead to many NILs or Dupes in logs... that does not help with a
winning score, though It may make you feel good because you
are having a great "run".

I was impressed this weekend when I dumped our call into very, very large
pileups.  I waited until the din died down, and
the station I called sent my call and the exchange.   The whole process was
very quick.

Achieving high rates requires a symbiotic relationship -- both the CQing
station and the pileup must cooperate and be
efficient.  To do that, sending a callsign is very important.  Also, *Running
is Marketing*.   If I S&P or click a packet spot and
all I hear is a guy sending dit for Roger, with no callsign, I'm thinking
that's a time sink and avoid the station.  If I hear
a station running at 40+ wpm and is working one station after another in
quick fashion, sending his call,  I'm there, dumping my call.  I know it
will be a quick in and out.

Shortcuts in CW are silly -- especially the ET type.  Do the analysis on
the time saved vs confusion and it becomes irrelevant.

I had many 100+ and some near 200 hours this contest.   When rates were
high, my speed varied from 40-45 wpm.
If I had a lot of stations in the stack, I'd simply send TU after an
exchange.  If nobody was in queue (having heard me already),
I send TU <mycall>,   When times are slow, I send TU <mycall> all the time.
  I this this NEVER hampers my rate, but effectively
communicates who I am.

The only way to have people change their ways is to emulate good behavior.
   Everyone knows the offenders -- either personally
or over the air.  Let them know your feelings.

73, Gerry W1VE    (@ K2LE in WW CW)