CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] IOTA Contest Rules for 2012

To: Zrinko Zibert <ve3zik@googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] IOTA Contest Rules for 2012
From: Maarten van Rossum <pd2r.maarten@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 09:53:35 +0200
Zrinko,

You have got a good point. They way I read it is that going form 20m SSB to
20m CW and back again to 20m SSB counts as two band/mode changes.
I do feel this should be made more clear in the contest rules.

However, I do think the 6 band/mode change rule is much better then a 10
minutes rule like some other contests.

Normally I don't mind being limited to only making 6 band changes. But this
is a mixed mode contest and since this rule also counts for mode changes as
well, 6 band/mode changes seems a bit scarce.

Furthermore, we used to operate the IOTA contest field day style from EU
146. Since this Island is easily accessible by car, we can not claim being
a DXpedition. Al lot of work but no benefits. This is why we are trying to
find a suitable location with shelter and AC power for this years addition
for the IOTA test. If we are not able to find such a location we will no
longer participate in the IOTA contest. For 8 years our group has
participated in the IOTA contest field day style (having lots of fun I
might add). The amount of work it takes to put up a competitive station for
a 24 hour contest has become a bit to much. Some of the operators in our
group have families now and therefore have less time for the hobby.
Changing the rules and creating a new class which would suit our operating
style would not change that for us at this point. However, I do feel a
field day style entry class would be a nice addition.

Just my two cents.

73, Maarten PD2R
Calls used during the IOTA contest: PA0ABM/p, PA6HQ/p, PI4HQ/p and PA2A/p

73, Maarten PD2R