CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Automation = lost essential skills

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Automation = lost essential skills
From: David Siddall <hhamwv@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 12:02:03 -0500
Kelly,

You are right in my book too.  But one exception is sweepstakes.  I don't
know the rationale, but some years ago the ARRL contest manager ruled that
in sweepstakes only discrete complete exchanges are allowed.  This extra
requirement doesn't seem to appear explicitly in the current rules (at
least that I can find), but I remember a lengthy thread on the subject on
this reflector.

Example 1:  NOT PERMITTED even though all required exchange information
transmitted & received.

VE4XT:  CQ CQ SS de VE4XT
K3ZJ:     K3ZJ
VE4XT:   K3ZJ 145 A 66 MB

Example 2: Required exchange necessitates repeating call.

VE4XT:  CQ CQ SS de VE4XT
K3ZJ:     K3ZJ
VE4XT:   K3ZJ 145 A VE4XT 66 MB

73, Dave K3ZJ

*-.-. --.-*

*ve4xt at mymts.net <http://mymts.net>* ve4xt at mymts.net
<cq-contest%40contesting.com?Subject=Re%3A%20%5BCQ-Contest%5D%20Automation%20%3D%20lost%20essential%20skills&In-Reply-To=%3CSNT401-EAS3295C25EFCA570A4A15549AFEE10%40phx.gbl%3E>
*Wed Nov 20 22:27:59 EST 2013*

That depends. If the receiving station heard the callsign, then the
callsign was sent, even if people who came late to the frequency
didn't hear it.

An example:

qrz, w1xyz
 (vy2zm and g3tuc are now listening and know who is on frequency.
(IOW, they've heard w1xyz send his call))
vy2zm
vy2zm 599 05
599 05
tu
g3tuc
g3tuc 599 05
599 14
tu
k1zz
k1zz 599 05
CL?
w1xyz
r w1xyz 599 05

In my book, all three QSOs are legit. Everybody received w1xyz's call.

Am I right?

73, Kelly
ve4xt