CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Really big RF out

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>, amps@contesting.com, Charles Harpole <hs0zcw@gmail.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Really big RF out
From: Charles Harpole <hs0zcw@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 21:28:11 +0700
It is very well known by anyone visiting various stations that more than a
few ham stations run 6, 10, or more KW routinely and especially during
contests.  Besides all the benefits of being very loud we know of, there is
the added benefit of squirting RL in two or even three different directions
at the same time... and still having over 2KW going all these directions.

This is a major factor creating two tiers of hams--those with lots of money
and huge amplifiers and then the rest of us.  This is true in contests as
well as is big money in costly DXpeditions, travel to hamfests, and having
room for big antennas.  I don't want to deny the wealthy ham the chance to
spend his money, but a poor underclass in any society is never good
especially when it is

exacerbated by excesses on the top end.

In sum, lets stop pretending and sniggering behind hands:  really big power
and antennas win contests and break pile ups. And, are not unusual.
Charly, HS0ZCW