CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Survey Results - part 2

To: James Cain <jamesdavidcain@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Survey Results - part 2
From: Charles Harpole <hs0zcw@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 08:46:02 +0700
Typically and for example, a VU will call me, begin a ragchew, not know
what contest it is and little about contesting.  I prompt him to give me a
number;  he invariably gives me a ONE, is confused by my rapid 73, has
already told me he has low power and a dipole, and often says he is signing
off and turning his rig off.  Now, that sounds like he has made the one
contact that can hear him and is satisfied;  sounds like a unique in the
making to me.

Some avid contesters tell me not to answer such calls, even if they are
very loud at the moment, very persistent in calling, and actually at that
moment the only signal I can hear--and a signal that will cover weak
multi-hop other signals.  The number of casual ops within one hop of my QTH
far outweighs true contesters' numbers.

I wish NA and EU ops could once tune through ALL of the ham bands and hear
one ham or no ham signals.  Imagine 20 meters as open but with NO signals
except trash from non-ham predators.  Imagine seeing thirty-over broadcast
signals just above 15, but the ham band is totally quiet.  If you wonder
why I spot myself off-contests, the fact is that without that spot, I can
call CQ forever with no answers.

Hams within one hop of me mostly think of ham radio as a way to visit with
pre-existing friends, in their native language, and are repulsed by the
rapid contacts, the pushing and shoving, and impolite behavior of
contesters.  They often want to help me make a contact with a relay and
have little interest in ham radio as a competition.  This is reflective of
peaceful, non-aggressive life styles, I guess.

I would live no other place on Earth, but ham radio is different "over
here."  The good news in HS is that Champ, E21EIC, is training a crop of
young hams contesters and the increase in participation from here has
impressed K5ZD, but that is not true for XW, XZ, XU, 3W, and lots of zones
22, 27, 28, and some of 24.  NA/EU does no training in these areas.

That is why I get some uniques in my log.  73, Charly, happy to be HS0ZCW

--
Charly, HS0ZCW