CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Constant Calling

To: Peter Chamalian <w1rm@comcast.net>, CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Constant Calling
From: Charles Harpole <hs0zcw@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 06:32:06 +0700
Pete, Of course constant calling is irritating and generally bad operating
practice.
As DX, I have had stations calling me when I have clearly stood by for a
different station.  If the station calling on top of or around the desired
station is equal or more loud, I will transmit again, expressing the
definite intention of working the first station (and sometimes mentioning
the offender).

However, if the offending station is weak, is from a poorly served area
(from my location), or is rare, I am happy to hear him because I can call
him next.  Often a weak caller will clue me that a new geographic area is
coming in and I can prepare for that........like turning my ant.  Further,
weak stations deserve attention, too, and sometimes will "just keep
calling" because that is their only hope, slim, of getting through.  That
can be cured by calling for "QRP only."

The only time I personally will call "out of turn" is when a rare DX is
calling 'directional' ....like to only NA... and yet is very loud to me.
If the directional goes on forever, as happens, I will call mainly because
there is NEVER a directional CQ to S.E.Asia!   When that becomes common
(and see the pigs flying too), I will not call "out of turn."

There are unusual but legit and sensible reasons for "just keeping
calling."  A good op will know those unusual times.  Really bad ops can be
gently chastised to help them better their ways.

73, Charly HS0ZCW

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 4:05 AM, Peter Chamalian <w1rm@comcast.net> wrote:

> Can someone explain the logic behind constant calling when the station
> you're calling clearly isn't calling you or anything like your call?
>

> Pete, W1RM
>
> W1RM@Comcast.net

Charly, HS0ZCW