CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] A US Petition to remove CW only subbands

To: Wes Jennings <wjennings2011@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A US Petition to remove CW only subbands
From: Charles Harpole <hs0zcw@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 05:30:54 +0700
This proposal is coming late because at the time when mandatory CW testing
stopped there were very good automatic CW decoders coming available.  The
prediction of the death of CW due to no need to learn was wrong.

A look at all indicators of CW use now days shows lots of increase.  It is
no secret that good rigs like the K3 now have excellent CW decoders and
such programs are available on hand telephones for free.   Often the CW
contact with the rare DX is the only one possible and is widely pursued.

In fact, if the operator can read his own call sign in CW, a fast good CW
contact can be made now-days with no need for more.  Spots start the
contact process and code readers clinch them.  I know a man who won his
slot in a CW contest and can hardly read his own call sign and certainly
little else.

So, this proposal ignores the rise in CW use and effectiveness.

Ironically, phone transmissions can QRM a CW xmission much more than the
reverse.  CW can be notched out because it is a specific and unchanging
tone;  not any phone.  CW needs protection and now is returning to be a
widely used mode.  Do not change what is not broken.

73, Charly

Charly, HS0ZCW