CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] 2pt rule

To: Bob Kupps <n6bk@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 2pt rule
From: Charles Harpole <hs0zcw@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 07:45:15 +0700
It is very telling that, until an American ham like me and lately Bob
(N6BK+HS), move to South East Asia that we realize just how much ARRL and
many CQ contests are skewed to serve the good ole USA/NA hams.  Being in
SEA has shown me that many of these skewed contests are really more like
WAE or other localized contests, these favor USA/NA.

In earlier msg here, I pointed this out in detail, but interestingly not
one of five responders got the skewing but instead invited me to move back
to USA.  I tried to explain why hams outside USA are not wildly
enthusiastic about getting on to help USA hams have a higher score.  But,
these are not "our" contests out here in the rest of the world.  When the
295,000 licensed hams in Thailand upgrade to HF privileges, we will be the
"second JAs"  and the world may tilt a little more fairly.  Big smile and
no kidding.

73, Charly HS0ZCW

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 5:35 AM, Bob Kupps <n6bk@yahoo.com> wrote:

> expeditions for the contests to North American island countries in the
> Caribbean.  It did that and their being there made those
> multipliers available to everyone.  It would be hard to change the rule
> now that so many people have so heavily invested in stations in the
> North American
> Caribbean.  Welcome back to contesting.  Maybe we worked this weekend
> from PJ4A (a Caribbean  multiplier in  South America).  If not, hope to
> work you again soon while we have good conditions to your part of the
> world.  Keep up the good work.  73, John, K4BAI.
> Well John I just can't believe that all those Caribbean stations would
> take down their towers and go home should they be required to play by the
> same rules as everyone else. If I were competing in NA I certainly wouldn't
> care to look at my score in the rankings knowing it was handicapped.  73 bob

Charly, HS0ZCW