CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] contesting and football

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] contesting and football
From: Charles Harpole <hs0zcw@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 09:50:26 +0700
While I would like to carry over the "gentleman's behavior" of ordinary ham
radio over into contesting, I have to say this....

When the guy running with the football has a tackler approaching, should
the guy with the ball call out, "Do not tackle me; it is not polite" ?

Today's contesting behavior has left lots of politeness behind in the Big
Gun's using other operators for his own purposes... examples include
EMPTY CQs, where an automatic CQ runs just to hold a freq and not only is
there not enuf time left between CQs to call in, but also no one is
listening anyway.
RUNNING SPEED, using 40+ WPM to send when the op can not copy at his
own sending speed.  (I turn my speed up to match his and listen to him try
to copy the dits in  "HS," hee hee.),
and, not slowing sending speed to match his caller's... normal politeness,
but not in a contest.
CHANGE BANDS, asking for a contact immediately on a different band (I am
not on contest to serve you but to beat you).
MOVE, asking me to move off "his freq" is silly in a contest just like "pse
no tackle" in football.
..... fill in your favorite gripe here.

On my side, occasionally I will set down on 14.150.5 SSB, allowed in my
nation, and run USA folks who will take the chance to grab a quick contact
there, but certain Big Gun stations think of 14.153 as their private freq
(or even .152 or .151) and come onto me demanding I move.  Hey, if my
tackle is stronger than your tackle, dont waste your time demanding to me.
Also, I collect threats like baseball cards.

Smiling 73,

--
Charly, HS0ZCW