CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Rare American entities

To: Charles Harpole <hs0zcw@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rare American entities
From: "rjairam@gmail.com" <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 12:56:15 +0000
The UN is/was doing renovations to the secretariat building. They started
just before I left the UN and it was about a year into Ban Ki-moon’s
tenure. The building was badly in need of repair as it violated several
fire codes and had numerous other safety violations. It was dangerous to
work there, and overcrowded too. The Mayor (Bloomberg at the time)
suspended all school tours as a result. They are not under US jurisdiction
but agree to obey city fire codes. Because of the renovations they took all
of the antennas down. Not sure if they put them back up yet. Before they
did they invited Martti (OH2BH) and other guest ops. The station is not
open to the public. It’s staff only and is part of the UN staff recreation
council and is an employee club. The location is sensitive too - it’s above
the SG’s apartment.

Most of the other US entities are protected wildlife sanctuaries
(monuments) or military areas. They do need special permission which is
sometimes hard to get. For example KP1 and KP5 was a several year
negotiation process which resulted in two DXpeditions - K5D and K1N.

Some of the others are “easier” but there are still logistics of getting
there. Swain’s island for example is privately (family) owned. There are
limited boat trips and no airport/airstrip. Still need permission just not
a permit from the Government.

KH9 Wake Island has a missile launch facility. There is usually one ham
over there. Used to be WA2YUN but I think he left last year. A new guy who
is a ham is going there. But because he’s in base housing doesn’t have much
in the way of antennas. Thankfully DXpeditions have been possible and there
have been a few of them.

73
Ria, N2RJ