CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Whither contesting "rare" DX

To: Rex Maner <k7qq@netzero.net>, 'Charles Harpole' <hs0zcw@gmail.com>, "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Whither contesting "rare" DX
From: Dale Putnam <daleputnam@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 08:20:21 -0600
The other aspect of this, is quite simple, I'd rather do S&P and enjoy, rather
than whisk around trying to make a big score, and waiting for an ID to show me
who I just worked,especially in SS..where the exchange has the call in it...
left out for speed I imagine. So.. I let them have their speed, without me.
There aren't many Wy stations on, and it is very frustrating to try to call
through a pile of high powered,obnoxious, ill-mannered and down right poor
operators, just to get a contact, then have to wait another half doz or so
contacts to catch the call.   I can and do copy 30 + wpm, and that is another
irritant, changing speed, just to save that few milliseconds of time, during an
exchange.. will generally get a request for a repeat, because my decoder
doesn't switch speeds without a bit of warning, and the preamble (call sign to
call sign) is the preamble. I love to answer and handle the exchange atthe rate
or speed the other station uses... call me at 35.. I answer a
 t 35.. call me at 55, ok.. I will answer at 55.. but don't evenask for a
repeat at 55.. again and again.. and again.. just to make sure you can put down
the right info... when you actually copy just fine at 30 .. not 50.
  I run a cw practice net twice a week, love cw.. although most don't here.
Yes, family comes first, and part of that is the hunting trip to gather meat
for the winter. It is hunting season, and preps are underway.   Many of us try
to get on, and will... but we won't bother to slug it out with the same
perceived presence on the band as from other areas of the country. You won't
find us, by looking for the loud and hard to miss signal.. you may find me, by
looking a little harder, and if the band is good to me, I'll be running, at my
speed, and having a lot of fun, with lots of friends and new Qs too!!
Have a great day,

Dale - WC7S in Wy