CQ-Contest

WPX

Subject: WPX
From: k4sb@avana.net (k4sb@avana.net)
Date: Wed May 22 22:52:36 1996
I mentioned in the original message that I did not intend to submit a log entry.
As such, I can use as many different calls over the weekend as I want to.

73,

Ed
-------------------------------------
Name: ed sleight
E-mail: k4sb@avana.net
Time: 21:52:36

This message was sent by Chameleon
-------------------------------------

From: gswanson@arrl.org (Swanson, Glenn,  KB1GW) (Swanson, Glenn,  KB1GW)
Subject: Our Clique - SK?

Here's one response to the post below. It's an honest reaction, but it's not
mine.
(i.e. Don't flame me.) Some food for thought, however.  73, --Glenn, KB1GW
The corrective has to be more aggressive than what he's talking about. My
own impression as an outsider who's done a little contesting is that "new
guys" like me are scared away by (1) the arrogance and/or unsociability of
many "big gun" contesters and (2) the financial investment that *seems* to
be necessary to join the in-crowd. There really needs to be a more open door
and recognition that some of us are, by necessity or by choice, going to be
second-tier or third-tier or (gasp! hold onto your heart,) QRP contesters or
(gasp again!) mobile contesters. The present (maybe past) situation reminds
me of when I was in high school, and the BMOCs were the guys who went out
for sports and had their names and pictures all over the papers and the
yearbook. Then there were the rest of us.

[Name and call withheld in respect of the corespondent who sent this to me.]