CQ-Contest

FW: WebSurfer Message

Subject: FW: WebSurfer Message
From: k6eid@avana.net (k6eid@avana.net)
Date: Thu May 23 23:04:21 1996
I sent this to HQ earlier but in light of ur message, thought I'd pass it on.

Phil K6EID

From: 0006008716@mcimail.com (Doug Grant) (Doug Grant)
Subject: Dayton

Nice to see so many of the gang at Dayton. A few items:

1. Contest Forum transcripts are avaialble from LTA Industries. $15 and worth
it (no, I do not work for LTA...).

2. I have begun a discussion with N7ENU off-line. I remember when I was just
starting out.

3. Everybody on the reflector do this. Go look up N1TZ in the CAllbook.
Send him a get-well card. He was on his way to his first-ever Dayton
Hamvention, and suffered a heart attack while trying to make a connecting
flight in Newark. Spent the weekend in a hospital in NJ (he lives in MA...)..

Do it now, before you forget, whether you were at Dayton or not.

THen send one to AA0RS/G3SZA.

Jeez...going to Dayton is getting harder on us all!

4. Be nice to new guys, or we'll all run out of people to work.

Now back to your regular programming. Be sure to tell all 2000 subscribers,
many of whom pay toread your message, that you'll be on the air in a
contest this weekend. Remember that this is the Contest Reflector, and
nobody would have otherwise guessed that you would be operating a contest.

Doug  K1DG

From: harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Charles H. Harpole) (Charles H. Harpole)
Subject: On removing CW

"DFREY" said it so well!!  The most basic emergency --radio will only turn
on and off-- can still be solved with Morse.  What can our leaders be
thinking!?!   de K4VUD

From: ki3v@rnodx.org (Richard Hallman) (Richard Hallman)
Subject: Young Gun Contesters

   I just turned 33 here on May 7th....Boy I feel "OLD"!!

Sure do miss the old days of sitting at my parents house in a row house
running my homebrew 4-1000 on 40 meters talking to KJ9A, KJ9W, KB0RC
(KR0Y), WD0EWD.  Had Lots of us TEENS get on and play contest and DX....CD
Parties were the Best!!

Sure dont hear those types of groups around anymore.......Most of the Old
guys couldnt  wait for us to get off of 40 at nights so they could have
their nets....That part hasnt changed!! ha

See Ya!       Rich  KI3V ex N3AMK, WB3JOV

Richard Hallman               ki3v@rnodx.org
11870 Heartpine St
Reno Nv  89506               ki3v@w7ta.#nonev.nv

From: pgerba@crl.com (Peter Gerba) (Peter Gerba)
Subject: FASC: Drop "CW", not a Joke!

Hi Jim;

I owe a few others a response and hope this note to you will fill the bill.

I am a member of the ARRL. I will be a member as long as I hold a ticket.
The League is our voice in a world of politics.  As far as I can see it's
the only game in town.  The League needs money to function...lobbying,
educating the public, fighting law suits etc. ; it's all quite expensive.
The ARRL does a lot of publishing. I must have 2FT of League publications
in my book case.  I like the books , there great.

My statement about the League being concerned with book sales stands (my
point of view !) I just received My April issue of "QEX".  The ARRL adds
are as
follows: 1/2 page (p.27) ARRL & TAPR 96 Digital Conference, not a book
add. Full page (p.29) add for the Extra Manual, full page add (p.30) for
the Repeater Atlas, two window adds.. (p.32) one for "Electronics Data
Book" and "W1FB's Design Notebook", back cover ..."Practical Packet
Radio".  You guys can count the adds or the space or whatever.  We must
take in to account that this is a League publication and that some vendor
may have taken one of those slots with a check.  I don't have a problem
with the way the League spends it's money.

I'm saying, or trying to say, that the ARRL is a business and it looks to
me like a publishing business...and I think it's going where the business
is.  Years ago, radio folks built their equipment and talked to other hams
in far away places with the stuff they created and from reading "QSTs"
from the 20s and 30s the League fostered all this stuff.  These days not
many hams build gear, not even antennas. So, the League has pointed out or
followed (I'm not sure which) the path taken by the "New Hams".  That's
where the market is and if the ARRL is to survive they had better be
there.  What I don't like is that the "New Ham" is not (please allow the
generalization) interested in electronics, CW, public service, "Hands
Across the Sea" stuff. The "New Ham" appears to be interested in VHF,
packet, computers, auto-patches and (I'll get it for this one) making
farting sounds on 2 meters.

Thanks for taking time to reply to me Jim. You know I have a great
respect for you and the time you have given to further this hobby.

I've got to go fix a packet cable.

73, pete kn6bi
pgerba@crl.com

From: harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Charles H. Harpole) (Charles H. Harpole)
Subject: CW Issue/new rig sales

In recent phoning for price and getting massive busy signals at many ham
radio stores, I am puzzled by the idea that radio sales are down.  Also,
visits to AES in Orlando see all the clerks continuously (not
"continually") busy with phone to such degree that in-store sales are much
delayed.  What gives?    73, K4VUD

From: harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Charles H. Harpole) (Charles H. Harpole)
Subject: Logging/QSL Mgrs adrs.

May I recommend use of the logging program from Ed, KI5OG, called PROLOG
and its accompanying QSL mgrs. program/list.
Prolog interfaces with Callbook CD-ROM (and others), now does rig control
and packet, and can be used as a contest duping program (not as good as
CT, but will import CT logs).  Huge awards tracking.
The QSL mgrs. list is above 50,000.
I use it and have also the AEA log program.  AEA is prettier, Prolog is
better.  No, I do not work for OG, just a satisfied user.  73, K4VUD

From: harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Charles H. Harpole) (Charles H. Harpole)
Subject: Hurricane season

Please sharpen your stations for hurricane season emergency
communications.  The big contest season may be over, but "Harpole
predicts" one more really bad storm season (during this sunspot low), so
don't pull the big switch (remember that phrase?) on the summer
operations.  CU on 14.268 when necessary?  73 K4VUD

From: trogo@primenet.com (Tony Rogozinski) (Tony Rogozinski)

Amen!

Tony N7BG

At 10:04 PM 5/23/96 PDT, k6eid@avana.net wrote:
>I sent this to HQ earlier but in light of ur message, thought I'd pass it on.
>
>Phil K6EID

                                Tony Rogozinski N7BG
                               One of the "Voo-Dudes"
                                VooDoo Contest Group
                         ("VooDoo" = white magic from Africa)
                      I Collect TELEGRAPH KEYS - Especially "Bugs"
               Call Me At 1-800-966-6264 If You Have Any To Sell Or Trade

From: wtill@awinc.com (Bill Till - VE5FN) (Bill Till - VE5FN)
Subject: LHJ article

Sorry, everyone. This comment is a bit late due to problems with the system,
so it has to be resent. I feel the remarks are still pertinent, though.

Well, they sure got a reaction to their mention of ham radio in their
article didn't they? Like the other hams, I was highly PO'd at first, but
when I saw the posting about the PR spokesperson from CEMA, I realized that
we were flaming the wrong entity. It appears to me that the Consumer
Electronics Manufacturers Association is encouraging the impression that RFI
to consumer equipment is always somebody else's fault. If we're going to
hound somebody, let's go after them. They are encouraging people to assume
that their products are OK and if those pesky individuals that cause the
interference could be silenced, their minimally designed products could
continue to be sold. After all, if they had to build RF immunity into their
TVs, VCRs, phones etc., it might increase their cost by a dollar or two. We
couldn't have that, could we?

Those who enjoy generating email might like to check out Charley's (K7NW)
posting listing the email address of the Director of Communications for the
CEMA, Lisa Fasold (lfasold@eia.com for those who have lost Charley's
message). I'm sure she'd enjoy being educated about a subject she should
know already, but obviously doesn't.

I would suggest that a humorous, but factual approach would be the most
effective. Fiery flames just make people angry and get tossed in the round file.

73 from the Great White North,

Bill, VE5FN

William G Till                      Amateur radio: VE5FN & VE7LW
3401 - 58th Avenue           Sysop of VE6YLL.#NEAB.AB.CAN.NA
Lloydminster AB                Email: wtill@awinc.com
Canada  T9V 1X3              Phone: 403-875-7619

From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (AA1K Jon Zaimes) (AA1K Jon Zaimes)
Subject: cell-site RFI?

Anyone have experience with a CONTEST station operating in close proximity
to a cellular phone site...any RFI problems to or from the cell-phone gear?
tnx any info...73/Jon AA1K jon.zaimes@dol.net

From: aa4nu@raider.raider.net (Bill W. Cox [AA4NU]) (Bill W. Cox [AA4NU])
Subject: LHJ or Possible loss of CW ?

Wonder what will cause more responses ...

The Ladies Home Journal article, which can be fixed with an apology in print.

... or the POSSIBLE loss of the CW + HF bands as we enjoy today, something
that can NEVER be fixed again ... if this "motion" passes, as in those who
prefer/enjoy CW votes don't count ... What do you think will happen to us,
CONTESTERS, when the "new HF non coders" want more 'space' to 'communicate'.

The same "truths" that claim CW is D.O.A, could be used for CONTESTS ...

Ponder this message, this weekend ...while you are ENJOYING the *C*W* WPX !

I've written my letters, and asked my questions ... Still awaiting for
answers I understand and believe ... How about YOU, what will you do ?

Those of you who claim to have 'connections/influence' nows the time to
figure out what is going on and do something POSITIVE ...

73 Bill

Just plain ole AA4NU this weekend, and every other one also ...

aa4nu@raider.raider.net

From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths) (Stan Griffiths)
Subject: Contesting is dieing

I know you don't want to hear it or believe it but I also think you know
it's happening.

The main reason there are no kids in contesting today is because there are
no kids in contesting today.  Kids like to do what their friends like to do.
Kids want to earn the respect and admiration of their peers.  Their peers
don't do radio contesting.  A kid that does spend time doing it is clearly
an "odd-ball" that likes to play games with old fogies that are one or two
generations older than he is.  This will clearly not earn him the respect of
his peers.

So what did we do wrong that caused all the kids to disappear from
contesting?  Nothing.  They are still here.  They just aren't kids anymore.

The real question is why aren't new kids getting into contesting and I think
the answer is simply that there are too many more attractive alternatives
for them.  Lots of other things that used to attract kids in the '50s and
'60s are also going dead.  When was the last time you saw a teen age kid
driving around in a 400 HP Corvette that he built up himself or a custom rod
with extensive modifications to the body that weren't simple bolt-on kits
from a parts house?  There used to be hundreds of these in the '50s.  Now
kids want to have a KW of audio in a small car that can be heard for 4
blocks.  Contesting is not the only thing that is changing.  Chariot racing
has been replaced by wind surfing.  I believe competitive radio contesting
among kids has mostly been replaced by computer games and I seriously doubt
all of us together can have much impact on that trend.

I don't spend my time crying about it.  I just find other interesting and
fun stuff to do.  God knows there are hundreds more choices than we had a
couple of decades ago.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com