CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Reverse Beacon Network Question

To: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@frontier.com>, "CQ-Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Reverse Beacon Network Question
From: <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 20:56:22 -0700
I don't think there's anything even closely similar between those two
examples.

Every time that we go on the air we deliberately and specifically identify
ourselves, and when we send a general CQ or participate in a contest we hope
that a lot of other hams "harvest" that identification and that they
faithfully transcribe our identity into their log.  We do not expect to be
anonymous.

In contrast, a cookie on the internet generally is not solicited, and
without some security level being invoked on your computer, happens
"invisibly" and without notification.  Hardly the same as the implicit
"please copy" in a Amateur Radio exchange.

73, de Hans, K0HB/K7
Just a boy and his radio