CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Lost leading 'dit' - summary

To: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Lost leading 'dit' - summary
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 08:43:07 -0500

On Mar 6, 2004, at 10:47 PM, VR2BrettGraham wrote:
I agree with you about the interest from having had the same direct
communications. The community wouldn't have anything to do with another
suggested change to firmware which would be of benefit for the contesting
segment - very negative & even not understanding what it was that was
going on - the response from the company was like chalk & cheese, even
going so far as to explain the limitations & talk about how to deal with them.
End result, suggestion was implemented.

Where was this suggestion made? Can you provide references to all these negative reactions?

I've searched the Elecraft Mailing list, but I can't find any reference to Brett's comments on CW PTT.

In fact, I have seen others mention CW PTT operation, but no one reacted negatively to this suggestion.

Part of the problem is there aren't any more input lines into the microcontroller. The PTT line shares the same input line as the CW dot line. That makes it impossible to separate. PTT would have to come in from some other source.

Sadly, CW PTT - something that looks to be something that more would
benefit from than the other (way to clear RIT in transmit) - met with an even
more hostile reaction from the community & appears to be something that the
company has no interest in looking at, or has been put off for another day.

Brett, you make this sound as if it were some kind of simple firmware change. It's not. It would require a major hardware change to do this.

And I can't find the huge negative reaction you are talking about. I'd like to see references. The Elecraft mailing list is available from their site, please note the "hostile reaction" you received.

I'm getting used to the small box - though I continue to be a lid at times &
fail to engage SPLIT mode & transmit in the wrong place. My gut feeling -
based on comments from the company whenever a K3 or K2+ thread
starts on the Elecraft list, plus their heritage, I suspect this one would not
be taken on board.

As an instigator of one or more of these K3 threads, the problem is keeping the fundamental design of the K2 in a larger box. It can't be much larger, otherwise the construction techniques used would fail to be strong enough. You'd have to have a chassis, which would be much more expensive. It might be made about 1" wider, that's about it.

2. Offer optional 8-pole filters in addition to the current programmable
filter.

Another firmware issue.

An alternate filter isn't a FIRMWARE issue, it is a HARDWARE issue. where in the world would you put the extra filters? In the K2/100, there's no room!

I find the KDSP2 does a lot to answer the filter question.

An assembled product is a significant deviation from anything Elecraft has
done, so I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Yep. Not likely to happen. The prefabricated toroids is about as close as you are going to get.

There is a small cottage industry of guys who just like to build and will construct a K2 for a fee. Further, a lot of K2 owners get the urge to build another one, so there's a brisk market in used K2s.

A few firmware changes to the K2 whilst we're waiting for what has been
repeatedly denied would be helpful. Other ideas might surface that might be
taken on board for this next product as a result of engaging the contesting
community.

Here's one -- One-button Rx antenna toggle. This just recently made it into the latest firmware.

RIT clear, CW PTT & filter selection -

RIT clear is possible through the RS-232 interface. The latest firmware allows this command even during transmit.

CW PTT is a hardware problem.

Filter selection is a hardware problem.

I'm kicking myself for not having brought
all three up at same time as there may have been a chance... the K2 looks
to have reached a plateau & I wouldn't be surprised that the firmware release
cycle will only get longer as a result.

Surprise, there's a lot of stuff available in the latest firmware.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901