CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Fwd: Re: [CTDXCC] Why everyone and anyone who likes/wan

To: reflector cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Fwd: Re: [CTDXCC] Why everyone and anyone who likes/wants CW and RTTY needs to know
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2016 16:03:10 +0000
I'm not an expert, but here's my $0.02 worth:

In the very short term, RM-11708 might actually improve matters.   Existing
Winlink traffic will partially shift to higher-speed Pactor 4, and less on-air
time will be required to move the same amount of traffic.

However, as that happens, there's the risk that demand for Winlink (or other
automated services) will increase to reflect the additional capabilities and
capacity.  That demand could offset the reduced on-air time.  Accordingly, I
think there's a decent chance that any initial improvement could be short-lived.

Looking further out, and considering how SDR technology is advancing, and how
Emcom type communications needs are becoming increasingly data-intense, I also
think there's a pretty good chance some folks will want to explore that
intersection of technology and demand if/when the speed limit is lifted.  When
that will happen and how much spectrum / which parts of the bands will be
affected (absent regulation) is kind of difficult to predict.

If the recent NPRM advanced in its current state, it probably wouldn't be the
end of the world.  But I suspect that providing a bit of a regulatory nudge
today to keep wide and narrow signals separated would be one way to ensure
maximum fun on the bottoms of the bands.

Michael / N1EN

Forwarded with permission of Ted as he does a much better job of putting
ink to ether than I do.

I've commented against RM-11708.

I'm curious what the contest community thinks as this will have an
impact on the cw/rtty sub bands?

Rich - N5ZC