CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters
From: "Paul O'Kane" <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:06:09 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Henk Remijn PA5KT" <pa5kt@remijn.net>

> Now everybody in the modern civilized western world has
> access to high speed internet it has became part of life.
> And because of this also it is part of amateur radio life.

The difference between the internet, and most other things
that are "part of amateur radio life", is that the internet
is the only one used to replace RF in facilitating contest
QSOs.

> The RBN is a very useful tool to investigate radio waves
> propagation, which looks like "self-training" and "technical
> investigations" by persons interested in radio technique.

Hans is right, when the RBN is used in that context.  On the
other hand, where, exactly, is the self-training in clicking
a spot generated by the RBN?

> Why not leave them to their experiments and ignore it if
> you dont like it?

It's not the experiments I don't like - it's the fact that
the exerimenters don't know, or refuse to acknowledge, the
difference between the internet and amateur radio.

From: "Lee J. Imber (WW2DX)" <lee@ww2dx.com>

> I am actually curious why this is a problem?

The problem is analagous to powerboat racers who claim
to be sailing.

> What is the underlying harm of this addition to the cluster?

I said earlier "They may argue it's just a natural extension
of existing technology - the cluster.  If so, doesn't that
raise a question about the legitimacy of the cluster?

For those who have convinced themselves that the cluster
(the internet) is a natural part of contesting, there is
indeed no underlying harm to this addition.

> "weapon of mass destruction" how? what is it
> destroying?

Is is destroying the ability of contesters to use nothing
other than amateur band RF, and the associated mode(s),
to find and work other contesters.

> How is this any different from the invention of the telephone,
> internet, SDR, auto tuning amps, software logging, computer
> keying etc etc.

There is a clear distinction between accessories, and
alternative, non-amateur-radio, communications technlogies
used in parallel with amateur band RF to facilitate contest
QSOs.  If you're not sure which is which, I can probably
help.

> I'm all ears

You may be hearing, but I hope you're listening :-)

> what is the question about the legitimacy (of the cluster)

It is every bit as legitimate to use the cluster in
contesting as it is to use alternative propulsion
methods in sailboat races.

> The internet is simply a device to move information from
> one spot to another, nothing else.

Wrong!  In certain contest categories, the internet replaces
RF when facilitating QSOs - you don't have to tune up and
down the band to find mults.

> I *think* I am a fairly open minded person I hope to
> grasp a better understanding on your views.

Good - I hope we have made progress :-)

From: "W0MU Mike Fatchett" <w0mu@w0mu.com>

> And the bug, memory keyer, voice recorders, SO2R and on
> and on all killed contesting too?

Please review my comments about accessories and other,
non-amateur-radio communications technologies.

> RBN is amazing technology like it or not.

I agree 100%.

> The high tech "cool" stuff is our only hope to draw in
> new people to the hobby.

I'd say that the harder it is to distinguish between the
internet and amateur radio, the harder it will be to
interest others.  In my experience, newcomers perceive
amateur radio to be "cool" precisely because it is
different.