CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Callsigns & People

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Callsigns & People
From: <Rowland.Archer@gxs.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 12:39:57 -0500
John W3BE, who spent 27 years at the FCC has a very good explanation of this
topic in his Rules & Regs column in the Dec 2007 WorldRadio.  You can find
much, but not all, of the same information on his website at
http://home.att.net/~w3be/.  Check out "Which Call Sign."  Several other topics
are also relevant including Station ID and Club Station.

Of course, this may not be accurate for amateur operation not regulated by the
FCC.

In his WR article, he makes the point that the station license is analogous to
a vehicle registration, while the amateur operator license is analogous to a
driver's license.  For the amateur service, under 97.5(b)(1), both the operator
license and the station license are shown on the same grant.

John uses precise language to define how these concepts apply, along with the
concept of control operator, so I'm not going to repeat any more of it here,
for fear I will mangle it and cause more confusion than good.  It has taken me
a few readings but the various scenarios are becoming more clear to me.

In the simplest case (which so far has covered 100% of my operating), where I,
with only one station and operator license grant and callsign, operate my own
station under those grants, there is no ambiguity.  But as soon as you go
beyond that case, there are decisions to make about which callsign to use, who
is the control operator, etc.  And John makes it clear that if you don't
consciously make those decisions, you could be assuming you don't have
accountability for the operation of your station when in fact you do.  Or you
may inadvertently allow your station to be used in a way that violates the
rules.

As evidenced by the discussion here, this area can be a little tricky to
understand -- but it is so fundamental to what we do, it seems like
understatement to say it is "worth studying!"

73,
Rowland K4XD