CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Re: NAQP name handicap experiment

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: NAQP name handicap experiment
From: aa7bg@3rivers.net (Matt)
Date: Sat Jan 18 09:34:28 2003
I could be wrong, but I believe using hard names was born out of a strategy
to use "defense" instead of just "offense" in the realm of contesting.

Most contest operators use an offensive strategy primarily. That is to say,
the operator marches the ball down the field and increases his score by
running stations or S&Ping. The operator doesn't really have a whole lot to
do with what his competition is doing. However, by using a hard name, it
actually does slow down the copying station and therefore can be seen as a
defensive strategy.

I'm not sure this is why the whole issue came up in the first place, but it
seems plausible to me. I really doubt it works and maybe the real reason was
not this at all, but just a desire to be humorous.

Of course, there are other defensive maneuvers that take place in
contesting, but they are illegal. e.g. jamming, stealing freqs, using a hack
saw on your neighbors tower, etc.

CU,
Matt--K7BG