CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Headset for contesting

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Headset for contesting
From: tgstewart@pepco.com (tgstewart@pepco.com)
Date: Mon May 20 18:39:17 2002
One thing I just cant fathom is why Heil and/or other headset makers
havent come out with an active noise-reduction stereo headset with a
dynamic boom mike!

I find my Noisebuster Extreme headphones indispensable in noisy
environments, but it's not over the ear, it's very cheaply made, and
suffers from RFI when in a high RF environment.  However, I often use it,
with my Proset over the top just for the microphone.

I asked Mr Heil about that a couple of years ago at Dayton and he showed
no interest whatsoever.

Sure, his mikes are probably the best, but the headphones are crap (OK,
they are comfortable crap!).  How anyone could be so serious about
microphone audio and not give a darn about headphone audio and electronics
is beyond me...

I think it's a small gold mine waiting to be tapped...and I'd pay several
hundred dollars for the full package.

I think Jay needs a new product line, doesnt he??  ;)

Ty K3MM

"Bob Naumann - N5NJ" <n5nj@gte.net>
Sent by: cq-contest-admin@contesting.com
05/20/2002 09:16 AM

        To:     "Jurgen Geldhof" <jurgen.geldhof@skynet.be>,
<cq-contest@contesting.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [CQ-Contest] Headset for contesting

I have not used the Proset+ on the air, but did look closely at it this
weekend in Dayton.  The Proset+ is quite different from the regular
proset.

One major difference is that it includes both the HC-4 and HC-5 elements
which you can select via a tiny slide switch on the mike boom.

Another difference is that there is a toggle switch that puts one ear
piece
out of phase.

The last difference is that the headset overall is much larger and, in my
opinion, more comfortable.

With either headset, the new 'stretchy' elastic / cotton covers for the
earpads are excellent and make both more comfortable to my ears.

The cotton covers are priced too high at $6 a pair, but they do make a
distinct improvement in comfort.  I anticipate that it will reduce the
amount of sweating that was normal with only the standard 'leather' pads.

Bob N5NJ