CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Contest ears

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest ears
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Thu Mar 15 23:16:59 2001
On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Steve Maki wrote:

 > Tree N6TR <tree@kkn.net> wrote:
 >
 >  >You can hear the 4 second sound clip at
 >  >http://www.kkn.net/~tree/ratrat.wav.  You will hear RAT sent
 >  >followed by the echo off the moon.  I think it is best if you can
 >  >listen with headphones at a LOW volume.  It seems that the ear
 >  >has an easier time with it then.  You might also just want to listen
 >  >to the second half a few times to pick the echo out.
 >
 > Interesting. Sounds like RTT to me, with extra space
 > before the first T.
 >
 > If I play the file from just after the R, it sounds
 > like AT.
 >
 > Steve K8LX

I had an interesting experience with this file.  I downloaded it and
played it back about a dozen times; I just couldn't hear the echo at all.
Then I downloaded all the other EME files that Tree has on his site and
listened to all of them, listening to the file with the loudest echo
several times, then the next loudest, etc.  Then I went back to the
"RATRAT" file.  This time, the echo just sort of leaped out at me; it was
very obvious.

And yes, it sounded like "RTT" to me, too.  The signal seemed to be
experiencing what is known as "libration fading".

73, Zack W9SZ