CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Still more from old QST's

To: dx-list@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Still more from old QST's
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 18:13:46 -0600 (CST)
I hope some of you are enjoying these as much as I have reading them again
after all these years.

>From April 1970 QST "How's DX?" by Rod Newkirk, W9BRD:

"And now in response to irrepressible demand (our own) we close out the
DX Test questionnaire series instigated by reminiscences of W2GP.  Having
already covered subject matter of forty years ago, then some suggested
material for contemporary use, we now provide samples of interrogatory
transmissions for forty years hence, ARRL's International/Intergalactic DX
Competition in the year 2010 ...

D-14 What is your QSO-per-second DX contest average?

M-4 Are your front feet higher than your back feet?

E-32 Do you like the new mint-flavored QSO tapes?

B-24 Does your joy light blink red or green when you hook a new one?

H-7 How do you keep people from fiddling with your feedback loops?

Z-2 Do magnetic storms ever give you colds and fever?

R-9 Are chrome sideburns the style in your country?

N-18 Do you have any painfully tight knobs?

D-23 Have you ever been (a) scratched, or (b) dented?

G-8 Do you know any three-footed transceivers?

I-35 How would you avoid collecting fungus in the tropics?

Y-17 Do you rather enjoy your trips to the factory?

R-14 Does your present owner keep you dusted and well-polished?

C-20 Do you eject QSL's during or after QSO's?

Y-19 How many operators can you test consecutively?

M-15 What type of lid really turns you off?"

Obviously, Rod and others failed to predict the advent of computers and
internet but may not be that far off!

Notably missing from April 1970 QST was an article by the infamous Mr.
Larson E. Rapp, WIOU.  I don't know when the famous Rapper stopped
writing articles for April issues of QST.  Does anyone know if the true
identity of the Rappster was ever revealed?

The May QST "How's DX?" column featured the annual DXHPDS meeting (that's
DX Hoggery and Poetry Depreciation Society, to any young squirts.) How I
miss that!

73, Zack W9SZ