CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] DX Sprint is a good idea

To: CQ-Contest Post <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] DX Sprint is a good idea
From: Jim Idelson <k1ir@designet.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:35:16 -0500
Hi Gary,

I wish to hereby acknowledge that my East Coast station has an incredible DX
contest advantage that cannot be overcome from the Mid West. My station's
hardware and my team's operating skills are insignificant. We do well only
because of our superior location. Glad I got that off my chest.

Gary, I'd like to extend a personal invitation to you. Please come and join us
for a DX contest. It's so much fun! You will enjoy watching reruns of Friends
and sampling my cooking with the rest of the team while the location is running
Europe. But, every couple of hours, one of us usually goes into the radio room
just to make sure the logging software hasn't crashed under the high qso rate.
We used to agonize over which band to be on, but when we noticed that all bands
are open to Europe all the time from here, we decided it didn't really matter.
So, we don't do that anymore. When are you coming? Can you bring a nice
dessert?

Will you be in Dayton? It would be great to talk about this more over a beer.
I'll buy.

73,

Jim K1IR

>The problem is that you will NEVER have a level playing field in a DX
contest.  But to suggest a 1000-1600Z time slot is completely biased.

>From W9 at this point in the sunspot cycle, 15 and 20M generally don't open
to EU until at least 1200-1230Z giving any East Coast stations a 2-2 1/2
hour advantage that cannot be overcome.  If you couple this with an
automatic ~10dB signal strength advantage and a path advantage that is often
not influenced to a large degree by geomagnetic disturbances should show you
what a huge advantage the East Coast has in any DX contest when working
Europe.

I just wish for once that the East coast would acknowledge that they have
such a geographically superior advantage in DX contests.  It's not the
station hardware, it's not operating skill, it's location, location,
location.

73,
 Gary

  K9GS
  Gary Schwartz           email: k9gs@arrl.net
  Society of Midwest Contesters (SMC)     GMDXA

Jim Idelson K1IR
email    k1ir at designet.com
web    http://www.designet.com/k1ir