CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Spotting - not

To: Matt Murphy <matt@nq6n.com>, CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>, Edward Sawyer <sawyered@earthlink.net>, "w1ve@yccc.org" <w1ve@yccc.org>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Spotting - not
From: AB2E Darrell <ab2e@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 03:11:03 +0000
Greetings All,

I guess I don't spot as much, but whenever I am S&Ping and I come across a
station not in the band map I definitely make a point to spot them.

I have noticed what could be a small problem. Some clusters in an effort to
limit traffic appear to filter duplicate callouts. I don't know if this is good
or bad, or if there is a time setting for this, but many times I have attempted
to spot a station on my favorite cluster only to see the message "station is a
duplicate".

But I agree with you, with all the Skimmers out there now along with RBNs, I
suppose there is less spotting. Maybe some of the node guys could check callout
statistics currently with those from past years?

Here's my setup.

K3 with a double Y serial adapter to laptop, then LP-Bridge. LP-Pan off the IF
Out of the K3 to an Asus 7 card for Skimmer.

WintelNetX set up with an RBN, my favorite cluster, and Skimmer, all fed to
N1MM+.

I really like WintelNetX because if one of the 3 spot feeds happens to fail,
the others are going strong. This happened Sat afternoon when my local RBN node
went down for several hours and Skimmer and my local cluster were still going
strong.

73 Darrell AB2E