CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] re: Casual contesters...

Subject: [CQ-Contest] re: Casual contesters...
From: JBaumgarte@aol.com (JBaumgarte@aol.com)
Date: Mon Mar 19 10:35:50 2001
In a message dated 3/18/01 10:22:22 PM Central Standard Time,
k2kw@prodigy.net writes:

<< We have done a similar analysis on the 6Y4A, 6Y2A, 4M7X logs (which were
all
  M/M events, generating around 16-18,000 QSOs each CQ WW CW).

Kenny,

Interesting comments.  I'm curious how many 6 banders you might get in a
typical contest?   In our (N0IJ) M/2 CW operation from Minnesota, we usually
only see the big Central/SA. stations in the 6 band list, however with the
great 160 conditions this year that number went up to 17 stations which was
really fun.

I suspect a bunch of US stations, not really full timing it, search you guys
out for the fun of making the 6 band swing?

73
John, N0IJ

From: James Funk" <jfunk@adams.net (James Funk)
Subject: [CQ-Contest] contest ears

A number of years ago, the county health department offered hearing
screening at the Agronomy Day program for farmers.  Farmers are notorious
for having hearing loss; we spend too much time with unprotected ears in the
vicinity of loud machinery and livestock.

After my test, the attending nurse said, "You have the best hearing of
anyone I've ever tested of *any* age." (I was in my mid-40's).

My reasons to her:  1) I've used earplugs since I was in my early 20's.  Dad
temporarily lost the hearing in one ear and it was a wake-up call for the
whole family.  I even use them when hammering, driving with kids in the car
<g>, any high-noise enviroment.  2) The hearing test was just like picking
out DX on 160 meters.  No RF gain control, though....

FWIW.

73, Jim N9JF