CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Hurricane Ike and the September VHF Contest

To: nn3w@cox.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Hurricane Ike and the September VHF Contest
From: Georgek5kg@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:27:31 EDT

In a message dated 9/11/2008 6:53:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
nn3w@cox.net writes:

As far  as I am concerned, it is imperative that operators in the contest be
cognizant  of the emergency ops taking place above 14.300, and should, frankly
consider  avoiding that swath of 20 meters this weekend.

Just a reminder...stay away from the SATERN net on 14,265 kHz during the
hurricane.

This is from their web site:
SATERN (Salvation Army Team Emergency Radio Network) provides  emergency
communications support to the Salvation Army wherever needed on site,  at the
local level, via VHF/UHF Nets. During wide-spread emergencies  (hurricanes,
earthquakes, forest fires, etc.), the 14265 kHz Net becomes  emergency traffic
and
H&W Net providing tactical assistance to those on site  and handling outgoing
H&W messages. The 14265 kHz Net is generally on the  air from 1200Z to
approximately 0100Z during times of wide-spread emergency.  Check our web site
at
www.satern.org to determine the alert status of the SATERN  Net.

73, Geo...

George  Wagner, K5kg