CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] To be assisted or not to be assisted: that is thequesti

To: w5ov@w5ov.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] To be assisted or not to be assisted: that is thequestion. (long)
From: Tom Haavisto <ve3cx@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 18:21:14 -0500
Perhaps we do agree (which would be great), but what got me going was this:

> 2) The *passive* use of spotting networks is allowed. What does
> passivemean? It means that you don't actively consult with
> others or ask for help - you *alone* either submit unsolicited information
> to the spotting network or you utilize what is posted there unsolicited by
> someone else.

When I saw this, I went back and checked the rules.? Clearly, the use of a
spotting network (even in a passive mode) places you in the assisted category,
which prompted my initial response.? What I did not want was to have someone
read your initial posting, accept it at face value (without checking the rules
for clarification), use a spotting network during a contest, then enter as
"unassisted".? To tell the truth, that is what I did - went back to the rules
to verify what you were indicating was really there.

When in doubt, check the rules.? They clearly state what an "assisted" entry
is.? I am not 100% certain every contest has similar plain language, but it
seems clear to me :-)

I should add - sometimes the rules DO change from year to year - always a good
idea to check before the contest to make sure they have not changed, and are
the same as your remember.

Tom