CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Out of Band operating

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Out of Band operating
From: Nzharps@aol.com (Nzharps@aol.com)
Date: Wed Oct 30 12:49:15 2002
Hello all,

I Noticed several comments on the reflector about out of band operation on
40m that struck a nerve.  Out band transmitting on 40 is something that has
been around for a long time. As long as there are operators who are tired or
trigger happy, it will continue.  What concerns me is out of band operation
on bands other than 40.

The PJ2T team spent considerable operating time transmitting below the
American subbands on 10, 15 and 20m during this past weekends WW.  We were
astounded by the number of W's that called in as we were operating there. At
one point N8BJQ and I wondered out loud if the FCC had changed the subbands
on us while we were out of the country.

Mistakes may happen at 21198, but in one case I personally remember (Saturday
morning) we were at 21135 running EU for more than a few hours.  Over the
course of that time period, dozens of U.S. stations called in. I can explain
away a few stations due to the fact that their calls sounded like newer
licensees, but there were many folks that should really have known better.
Seems as if some of us are willing to take a chance of operating outside of
our privileges in order to pick up a multiplier.  What's up with that????

73,
Ron, K8NZ