CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] What Happened on 10 Meters?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] What Happened on 10 Meters?
From: Georgek5kg@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 21:57:45 EST
I managed to work a 9A and an Italian on 10m in CQWW SSB plus a boatload of
 SA from here on west coast of FL.

73, Geo...k5kg

In a message dated 11/4/2009 6:16:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dougk1dg@gmail.com writes:

On Wed,  Nov 4, 2009 Jimk8mr@aol.com wrote:

> Looking at the CQWW SSB 10  meter totals on 3830, I see huge  differences
> between numbers  posted in Europe and those from the USA.  For  example
DF0HQ
>  had 676/26/109, vs. 209/14/44 at K3LR.
>
> Was there some sort of  very short opening that peaked in the hours the EU
> could have worked  people, but petered out before the Western Hemisphere
> could  take  advantage?  Multiple hop Es in useful directions? Something
else  I'm
>  missing?
>
> Inquiring minds want to  know.

On Sunday of WWSSB, I kept asking loud Europeans who called me on  15
if we could try 10M. Quite a few said 10M was "wide open", but  on
closer inspection it was open inside Europe (and to Africa,  Middle
East, etc.). No propagation to the U.S, other than a few W4s. One  loud
European tried to move me to 10, since he was hearing lots of  signals
and figured that the band would be open.

I did not work or  hear a single European on 10M. And I did not hear
any Ws beyond ground-wave  (I did not work or hear Zone 3 or 4, for
example), even while listening to  the South Americans running Ws -
their callers were inaudible.

It  was a very different contest in Europe than it was in North America.

I  am hoping this will change in a few years...or maybe a few  weeks!

73,

Doug  K1DG