CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] CQ and S&P on the same band

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ and S&P on the same band
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 22:32:30 +0000 (GMT)
Well, all you have to do is look at the CQWW on-line (public) logs and you will
note lots of
guys have been doing just this, especially non-NA.  It's no big deal.

As for history, as others have stated, this was done ~35-40 years ago.  At
N2AA/K2GL I
did this successfully on 10m with my own simple design.  We used a pair of TR7s
(when that
was considered the "hot" radio).  One rig went to our 10 over 10 stack "up on
the hill" while
the other radio could use a pair of phased 1/4 wave verticals, physically
positioned for
minimal pickup from the yagi's when the yagis were pointed at Europe, which is
where they
usually were, except for the JA openings (remember those on 10m?).

Without any "extra" filters or slight of hand, we could listen without any
issue at all within
5kc of our own xmit QRG.  And the verticals heard real well (just a simple 4
radial system for
each one).

We also had listener yagi "in the woods" on the other bands and I don't
remember on what
other bands.  Not sure how well they worked, but I do know that the phased
verticals were
killers for listening while transmitting.

de Doug KR2Q