CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Control in Contests

To: k5zd@charter.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Control in Contests
From: k3bu@optimum.net
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 01:53:32 +0000 (GMT)
Thanks for 'clarification'

I ain't no legal beagel, but I can see some problems with rules:

> (f) All operation must take place from one operating site.

Sooo, is that really ALL operation? Operator, his operating tools (RX, TX, ant,
computer, logging, mike, key, headphones) from ONE operating site, or does the
"fog" include two operating sites (OH - CR)

> Transmitters and receivers must be located within a 500-meter diameter circle
> or
> within the property limits of the station licensee, whichever is greater.

Soo, who's licence? Operator in OH, or station license in CR???

Like, which part of  (half, quarter?) station does it pertain to? TX, RX, ANT
part or computer, remote controllers, mike, headphones part?

...aaaand

> Your station has to all be in
> one place. The op can be far away as long as the station
> (transmitter,receiver, antennas) are all in one place.

The op without station is no good. Station without op is no good. Aaaah, but
half (or whatever) of station "completed" by operator waaay out somewhere is
now "in one place"?

Don't get me wrong, I am for progress, I have been and am in situations when I
could not have competitive station in my front yard.
Jus' some problems with "ham logic" - piece of another hardware/software
Skimmer is another person "assistant" vs. remote split station in two countries
is single op, jus' like he was there!

I have always taken pride in being ham - being licensed (passed exams, got
callsign) to build and own the station, learn, build and operate, enter
contests to compare this driver and machine. with others. I looked down on
hired guns, who operated someone else's whiz machine. It looked to me like
different category, but it was not treated as such, we got used to it being
single op - with one callsign , operating gadgets of another callsign.
I adjusted and when constricted, did some guest operating, even fixed some
records, did not feel as good as like those done (as VE3BMV) with my modified
radio junk and Razors from 46 ft city lot.
Will I adjust to this new technological reality? It ads some possibilities to
those residentially challenged, expands the participation from those who
otherwise could not with creeping restrictions. It throws the monkey wrench
into skewed scoring system. Will few remotes turn off nonremotes? I think rules
or categories need some tweaking of the biased (discriminatory) scoring (3 vs.
1 QSO points).
So what can I do? Maybe I will adapt, or maybe I will drop it like I did with
DXCC chasing after lists and nets screwed it up.
Just one OF musings in hope of clearer answers.
 I can see NASCAR running remoted cars and America's Cup sail boats.

73 Yuri, K3BU.us
www.MVmanor.com