CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Looking for input on balanced line feeder length

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Looking for input on balanced line feeder length
From: k3bu@optimum.net
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:13:54 +0000 (GMT)
Looking at the circuits and layout of components in both tuners, it looks like
MFJ is using transformer to feed the balanced line, while Palstar has balanced
circuit feeding the balanced line.

Balanced line exhibits fluctuation of voltage and current along its length
(standing wave circuit), depending on the frequency used - it could have high
voltage at its end if the electrical length is close to the quarter wave
multiples. Ideally (open) balanced line feeders should have electrical length
equal or close to half wave multiples, it would reflect impedance at the
antenna feedpoint.

Adding some feeder length could alleviate the problem (pull away extra feeder
with some string or wind it on plastic tube).

MFJ has one winding of the balance transformer grounded and this could be
helping to shift the current/voltage distribution along the circuit and prevent
high voltage at the terminals and minimizes the danger of arcing.

I think Paul/Palstar might appreciate the problem, in case the tuner was tested
to resistive dummy rather than extreme real life situations.

GL, Yuri, K3BU.us