CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] CQWWDX origins of SOA - addendum

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQWWDX origins of SOA - addendum
From: kr2q@optonline.net
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:30:08 +0000 (GMT)
Well, seems that my memory was not 100%; I forgot about the year
that CQWWDX had the category listed as UNLIMITED.

Here is an exact quote from the CQWWDX SSB writeup from 1988.

[snip]
Last year we mentioned a growing interest in creating a single
operator unlimited category.  Well, in response to your letters we did
it.  This category is a cross between single operator and
multi-single.  Although only one operator is allowed to use the
station's equipment, he can make use of spotting nets and packet
radio.  So even though he is receiving spotting help from others
(clearly multi-single), he is working and receiving contacts by
himself (clearly a single operator).  When the committee met in Dayton
this year, it was decided to call the category single operator
unlimited in the hopes of not restricting the growth of creative
ideas.  The new category does not have a 10-minute rule, so an
operator can freely move anywhere at anytime.  We hope that this new
category will create interest in a growing segment of the contest
population.
[end snip]

In the 1989 Phone writeup, the category name was changed to SO-Assisted.

de Doug KR2Q