CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] I can feel the heat! Fwoosh!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] I can feel the heat! Fwoosh!
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Fri Mar 30 07:46:19 2001
In a message dated 3/29/2001 23:55:26 Eastern Standard Time,
hhbrakob@qwest.net writes:

 >  The rules only apply to those who are contestants.

So like if I go and participate in the Tour de France (riding bike according
to rules) and Mr. Big Noncontester decides to have a fun and "enter" the Tour
on a motorcycle and do not send the log, it's OK? (never mind interference
and making fun of other "dummies" on the bikes)

We are getting to the point, where contrary to claims that ham radio is
dying, there is more participation in the contests (still, only sane
competition left?), more fight for the frequencies especially with all them
SO N radios perpetuum CQing machines and packet assisted "shot'em in the ZOO"
operators, we are heading for poison fields.

I think if one wants to enter contest, it should be done under the rules,
just like all others. If you want to help and hand out QSOs, why not do it
like the others, under the rules? Maybe you will like it and even send the
log (to help checking) and see how much you helped.

Time to turn the packet off during the contests, it is nothing but trouble,
are we competing who can hit "go get'em packet key" faster or who is the
better hunter without any crutches. Let's do it now before it is too late.

Tesla Cup rules will address some of the creeping problems, stay tuned.

Time to enforce the rules and stomp out cheaters and not to "adjust" to
them!!!
I promised that next time I hear 40 dB louder signal than anything else from
IG9, I am dropping my contest, getting on the plane (or send my Sicilian
friends there) and want to see with my own eyes what kind of "miraculous,
secret" antenna Marconians are using!
It is great to bring these things up, by rehashing them here, maybe we will
wake up few "clever contesters" and keep the contesting sane and fun for rest
of us.
Hang in there Scott!

Yuri, K3BU, VE3BMV, VE1BY etc.