CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Putting the spoon into the pot: WPX - who is on first?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Putting the spoon into the pot: WPX - who is on first?
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 23:36:58 +0000 (GMT)
Just got my March 2009 CQ mag with the cw WPX results.

YIPPIE!!  I won a trophy!!

BUT WAIT A MINUTE.....what's this I see?

TI5N wins for the world (congrats) and get the WORLD trophy.

I win for USA, but since TI5N got the WORLD trophy and now I'm 2nd place in
N.A.,
I get the NA trophy.  But I didn't win NA, I won USA.  So why would I get the NA
trophy?

And ELSE do I see?  Because I got the N.A. trophy, N7IR, who is 2nd place USA,
(an amazing feat from AZ) wins the USA trophy.

HUH??????

This made no sense to me 30 years ago in CQWW when W1WY thought that it would be
equitable to not only do this sort of thing, but make the previous year's
winner ineligible
to win the trophy again.  So what happened?  Station "A" won in year 19xx.  In
year 19xx+1,
they won again, but could bit win the trophy, so station "B" got the
trophy....and the trophy
was engraved with the word WINNER.  But it gets better.  In year 19xx+2,
Station A again
won, Station B again came in 2nd, but since they were both "ineligible,"
Station C got the
trophy, which again was engrave with WINNER.  This nonsense was stopped long
ago.  The
winner is the winner, period.

So what would I do in this case?  TI5N wins the world AND wins N.A.  He should
get TWO
trophies.  This concept of "being fair" works well in kindergarten and first
grade...not
contesting.

OK...taking a step back and now handing the spoon off.

de Doug KR2Q