CQ-Contest

CQWW_Phone

Subject: CQWW_Phone
From: barry@w2up.wells.com (barry@w2up.wells.com)
Date: Sun Oct 29 21:26:00 1995
                    CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1995

      160       10       19     1.90      6       7
       80       35       89     2.54     10      28
       40       50      134     2.68     14      43
       20      115      319     2.77     22      71
       15      116      326     2.81     20      57
       10        7       19     2.71      5       5

     Totals    333      906     2.72     77     211  =>  260,928

About 6 hours op-time

Murphy struck big-time here.

Problem 1 - LARYNGITIS! Felt a sore throat coming on Thursday. Recorded
exchange, callsign, etc. in voice keyer then, just in case... Turns out I
could barely grunt. All QSOs (except for just a few) were made by pushing
buttons and not uttering a word. Naturally, it was all S&P. Couldn't CQ
without opening mouth to reply to calls...
Problem 2 - Heavy rain and thunderstorms Friday nite. Rain static 30 over 9
Problem 3 - Arcing tuning cap in amp

There's always next year... 73 Barry

From: George Cook <george@epix.net> (George Cook)
Subject: Zone Map

I got a real nice one for free from Kenwood also I think Icom will give
you one.  Just ask
GC

On Thu, 26 Oct 1995, C Sim James, KK5EA wrote:

> Guys es Gals,
>
>       Where can I get a list or map of the cq zones?  I just realized
> that I don't even know what zone I am in much less the rest of the planet.
> If there is no such internet resource can someone at least inform me as
> to what zone I am in here in AL.  I don't think I have ever operated CQWW
> so the question has never come up.  It wont be a real huge effort I have
> the military flight aptitude test Sat. morning and that is something I
> must be awake and alert for.
>
> 73 es tnx,
>
> Sim, KK5EA/4
>

> \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\  Over the modem.
> |C. Sim James, KK5EA  03PO            |  Through the University.
> |Email:  jamescs@mail.auburn.edu      |
> |Packet:  kk5ea@k4ry.#cenal.al.usa.na |  Nothing but 'Net
> ///////////////////////////////////////

* George Cook   AA3JU  Bangor, PA  FN21         *
* george@peach.epix.net  AA3JU@N3IQD.EPA.USA.NA *
* If you're not FRC remember:...............    *
* .......There's no shame in being 2nd best!    *

From: Jack Fleming <oolon@eskimo.com> (Jack Fleming)
Subject: WA0RJY Score

WA0RJY - Seattle, WA

         Category : Assisted Single Band - 15 (Low Power - 100 Watts)

         Team/Club : Western Washington DX Club

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Countries   Zones

   15SSB     346         345        976        75        26

 Totals      346         345        976        75        26

    Final Score = 98576 points.

NOTES:

My first attempt with the "Assisted" class and had a GREAT time.  I was
using N6TR's software with the bandmap turned on.  It was great fun to
watch the spots come in and fill the map at the bottom of the screen.

Highlights included:

JT1Z say "Hi Jack!"  (Probably using the N6TR name database...).

PJ1B saying "You Totem Tabloider You!" - I edit the Western Washington DX
Club's newsletter Totem Tabloid.

Meeting JA1KSO who was my first ever DX contact back in 1967 (with a 40
meter dipole and crystal in a DX-35 in Iowa).  I still have his QSL - I
don't think he was as amazed by the re-meeting as I was...

Working 3V8BB without knowing who he was!  Worked him before the pileup
started and asked, "What's your call?"

Working 3 all-time new ones during the weekend - 3V8BB, 5N0MVE, and YI9CW
(on 20 meters CW - not in the contest...).

Conditions were very good from out here in Seattle.  Some Europe - though
only worked EA, CT, F, G, GW and HB(!).  Heard some Italian stations but
they couldn't hear me...  Lots of interesting African stations.

On the whole an excellent weekend - I'd recommend running the assisted
mode for anyone wanting to have a fun contest experience.  Now to get a
rig that is computer literate so the spots automatically get added and I
don't have to type in the frequency so often...

73!

Jack Fleming, WA0RJY ex-CN2JF ex-CT1/WA0RJY   oolon@eskimo.com
Seattle, WA   http://www.eskimo.com/~oolon/   DON'T PANIC!

From: Cain, Jim,  K1TN" <jcain@arrl.org (Cain, Jim,  K1TN)
Subject: I HATE CONTESTS!!!!!

The person probably most responsible for setting
up the CQ Worldwide DX Contest was Larry Lekashman,
W9IOP, in about 1948 or '49. He was, among other
things, an executive of the ElectroVoice company. You
may have some of his products lying around.

Mr Lekashman is dead now, so you may have some
difficulty in contacting him.  Good luck trying. 73.  Jim Cain
 ----------
From: paul Veltman
To: Multiple recipients of list

Sender: boatanchors@theporch.com
From: paul Veltman <veltman@netcom.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <boatanchors@theporch.com>
Does any one of you kind people out there have the name at CQ of the
gentleman who set up this CQ World Wide DX fiasco that I had to endure
this weekend?  I owe this wonderful person a lovely note of
appreciation for his efforts in making my weekend "unique".

TIA

73,
Paul WA6OKQ