CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Re: SS Checks & Precs

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: SS Checks & Precs
From: n5nj@att.net (Robert Naumann)
Date: Fri Oct 15 13:45:02 1999
This raises an interesting point.

In my opinion, what you did should not be an option.  If you were to do
that, because - as you say, you were bored, you should maintain the "A"
precedence for consistency sake and submit your log as a check log -
especially considering that you were most likely not going to be competitive
anyway.

Once you start a contest, you should not change the "constants" in your
exchange.  Perhaps, if you know you may be tempted at some point to flip on
your amplifier, you should start out as "B" - just in case.

I know that this seems to be "honest" but it can mess up the guys working
you before that may hear you later.  They may think they must've copied your
exchange wrong earlier and go back and "correct" it.

What a mess.

In contests other than SS where you can work a station on more than one
band, this can be a problem too where a station is "honest" and sends
different power levels on different bands in ARRL DX for example.

Perhaps there needs to be a clear statement about this in the rules to
eliminate any possible confusion.

Robert E. Naumann
N5NJ / V26O
Plano, TX  USA