CQ-Contest

SS CW score

Subject: SS CW score
From: MCONATOR@SFOVMIC6.VNET.IBM.COM (MCONATOR@SFOVMIC6.VNET.IBM.COM)
Date: Mon Nov 8 08:31:27 1993
I had fun in my first SS effort. I operated from N6TR and felt LOUD!
Tree has an excellent station that plays very well. Thanks Tree! My
hat is off to you for the excellent job you did at W7RM also. Learned
some interesting things to apply next year regarding CQ vs S&P and band
changes. Never got to 10 meters (or 160). Finally got PQ at about
QSO #1000 for the sweep.

AA7NX Single Op (from N6TR), High power, Oregon Section

1238 QSOs x 77 sections = 190,652 points

73, Mike  AA7NX
Michael R. Conatore
(503) 294-6769
mconator@sfovmic6.vnet.ibm.com
IBM Oregon Trading Area
1211 S. W. Fifth Avenue Suite 1000  Portland, Oregon 97204
IBMMAIL USIBM5CZ
A.R.S. AA7NX

From: bhorn@netcom.com (Bruce Horn) (Bruce Horn)
Subject: SS Results

After reading everyone's comments, I couldn't resist.  Decided to
test QRP capability of home station during CW portion of SS.
Due to severe time constraints (making up for all the time spent
in the CQWW the previous weekend), I limited myself to 100 Qs.
Ended up with 100Q x 52S = 10,400.  Looking forward to some fun
in the phone SS running QRP again.

To all the big guns...just remember when you think no one is calling
you during those "boring" Sunday afternoons, some of us are trying
to make 5W sound like a 100.

73 de Bruce, WA7BNM

From: Ward Silver <hwardsil@seattleu.edu> (Ward Silver)
Subject: N0AX SS Results

Such as they are...
615 x 76 = 93480
Condx were lousy from Seattle.  It was very tough to listen to N3SL and W9UP
running a pile of stuff I couldn't even hear on Sat afternoon.  Missed VY1
this year and then was tortured with comments about his CQing with no takers
on 40 late ;-)  This was the first time in a long time that Sunday was better
than Saturday.  Had computer wierdness on Sat eve, but 80 was quite good this
year; QSOs with N4DW-VT, K1DG-NH, K1AR-NLI gave me a thrill...that much closer
to 5BWAS/QRP...thanks, guys.  Knocking off CT,VT,NLI,and WV on 80 as new mults
was a twist!  Maybe better next year? dididit dididit

See you from KH6 in CQWW, probably all-band, low-power using the Maui ARC
call KH6RS or NH6T.

GL/73
Ward, N0AX

From: Doug Grant <0006008716@mcimail.com> (Doug Grant)
Subject: No subject

Sweepstakes scores from 3830

in order of QSO total, not score...

WM5G 1604 76  243808

W5WMU 1557 77  239778

KM9P 1529 77 (KM9P)

K5GN 1462 77

W7RM 1444 77 (N6TR)

K6LL 1428 77

K0RF 1414 77 (W0UA)

K9FD 1400 77 (WX3N)

NP4A 1388 77  A (K7JA)

K5MR 1377 76

K3LR 1372 76

AH3C 1351 77 at AA6TT

VE3EJ 1350 76 (K5ZD)

N2IC 1322 77

N5RZ 1315 76  A

KZ2S 1300 76

W6EEN 1298 77

K1TO 1292 76

N8RR 1281 77

K1DG 1257 76

K4VX 1253 77 (WX9E)

KQ8M 1238 76

AA4NC 1230 76

WA8ZDT 1218 76

KY7M 1217 75 A

K3ZO 1215 76

AD5Q 1210 77  A

KW8N 1187 76  (WD8IXE)

K0EU 1173 75  A

K0PP 1094 77

K4XU 1070 76  A

W2RQ 1050 75

N4AA 1030 77 A

N0AT 1016 76 A

WB1GQR 1016 74

VE4VV 916 77  A

WG9L 903 77

WE9V 874 76 A

KO9Y 852 77 A

W9YH 848 76  (N4OGW)

AA8U 831 75

K0FRP 824 75 Q

W2GD 814 76  QRP

N9JF 804 75 A

W9UP 788 76 (KA9FOX) Q

AI6E 782 74

AA2U/7 757 75 Q

W9RE 751 76 Q

WU3M 688 75

K1TR 686 76 Q

KE4GY 682 74 A

WA4PGM 667 76 Q

KB4GID 569 72 Q

KI4HN 347 69

KJ5JC 192 65 A

W4AQL 1379 77 MULTIOP

WX0G 1308 76  MULTI

K5OJI 1284 77 MULTIOP

K6XT 1220 77  MULTIOP

AB0S 1161 77 MULTIOP

W6BIP 1048 77 (+N1EE)

/UPLOAD OFF
/

From: george fremin iii <geoiii@wixer.bga.com> (george fremin iii)
Subject: ss cw scores

single op high power
WM5G    1604 76
W5WMU   1557 77
N4RJ    1529 77
K5GN    1462 77
W7RM    1444 77
K6LL    1428 77
N2IC    1422 77
K0RF    1414 77
K9FD    1400 77
K5MR    1377 76

K3LR    1372 76
K7UP    1357 76
AH3C    1351 77
VE3EJ   1350 76
N6VR    1321 77
N6TV    1313 77
KZ2S    1300 76
W6EEN   1298 77
K1TO    1292 76
N8RR    1281 77

K1DG    1257 76
N6RO    1248 77
K4VX    1253 77
W6QHS   1248 77
AA7NX   1238 77
KQ8M    1238 76
AA4NC   1230 76
W5KFT   1227 76
WA8ZDT  1218 76
K3ZO    1215 76

K6KM    1199 77
KW8N    1187 76
W2RQ    1050 75
K2MM    1038 77
WB1GQR  1016 74
WG9L     903 77
KF8QE    894 76
W9YH     848 76
AA8U     831 75

single op low power
NP4A    1388 77
N5RZ    1315 76
KY7M    1217 75
AD5Q    1210 77
K0EU    1173 75
W1FEA   1106 77
K4XU    1070 76
N4AA    1030 77
N0AT    1016 76
KE4VV    916 77

KZ4H     913 76
NJ2L     901 76
WE9V     874 76
KO9Y     852 77
N6MZ     823 77
N9JF     804 75
AI6E     782 74
NN5T     712 75
AA6MC    682 76
KE4GY    682 74

WA1U     529 76
KF9PL    455 73
KI4HN    347 69
NG0X     260 31
KJ5JC    194 55
NV3V     111 47

single op qrp
K0FRP    824 75
W2GD     814 76
K1TR     786 76
W9UP     778 76
AA2U     757 75
W9RE     751 76
WA4PGM   667 76
KB4GID   569 72
WA7BNM   100 52

multi-op
W4AQ    1379 77
WX0B    1308 76
K5OJI   1284 77
K6XT    1220 77
KB0S    1161 77
K0PP    1095 77
W6BIP   1048 77
NV6O     666 77
K6XO     549 75

keep those updates and scores coming
george
wb5vzl aka. w5kft

geoiii@wixer.bga.com

From: george fremin iii <geoiii@wixer.bga.com> (george fremin iii)
Subject: checks worked in ss

since this was brought up and i just happen to have the software
to count this sourt of stuff. (thanks to N5HD)

my 1993 ss code log
Total contacts = 1228

Chk  QSO's  percent
21      2   0.2%
23      1   0.1%
27      1   0.1%
30      5   0.4%
31      3   0.2%
32      6   0.5%
33      2   0.2%
34      5   0.4%
35     10   0.8%
36      9   0.7%
37      4   0.3%
38     10   0.8%
39      8   0.7%
40      3   0.2%
41      6   0.5%
42      3   0.2%
46      4   0.3%
47     14   1.1%
48     12     1%
49      8   0.7%
50      6   0.5%
51     14   1.1%
52     28   2.3%
53     20   1.6%
54     29   2.4%
55     38   3.1%
56     39   3.2%
57     59   4.8%
58     46   3.7%
59     46   3.7%
60     24   2.0%
61     41   3.3%
62     42   3.4%
63     43   3.5%
64     29   2.4%
65     22   1.8%
66     33   2.7%
67     33   2.7%
68     27   2.2%
69     30   2.4%
70     25   2.0%
71     23   1.9%
72     30   2.4%
73     24   2.0%
74     16   1.3%
75     14   1.1%
76     32   2.6%
77     49   4.0%
78     21   1.7%
79     22   1.8%
80      9   0.7%
81     11   0.9%
82     10   0.8%
83      6   0.5%
84      5   0.4%
85     14   1.1%
86      9   0.7%
87      8   0.7%
88     20   1.6%
89     21   1.7%
90     31   2.5%
91     32   2.6%
92     23   1.9%
93      8   0.7%

and for comparison -- my 1992 ss phone log

Total contacts = 2200

Chk  QSO's  percent
10      1   0.0%
13      2   0.1%
17      1   0.0%
21      2   0.1%
22      1   0.0%
23      1   0.0%
24      3   0.1%
27      1   0.0%
29      2   0.1%
30      3   0.1%
31      3   0.1%
32      4   0.2%
33      3   0.1%
34      9   0.4%
35     13   0.6%
36      6   0.3%
37      3   0.1%
38      7   0.3%
39      8   0.4%
40      6   0.3%
41      6   0.3%
42      1   0.0%
43      2   0.1%
44      1   0.0%
45      2   0.1%
46      8   0.4%
47     13   0.6%
48     10   0.5%
49     19   0.9%
50      4   0.2%
51     23   1.0%
52     35   1.6%
53     23   1.0%
54     36   1.6%
55     37   1.7%
56     44   2.0%
57     56   2.5%
58     51   2.3%
59     62   2.8%
60     37   1.7%
61     52   2.4%
62     51   2.3%
63     37   1.7%
64     42   1.9%
65     43   2.0%
66     21     1%
67     46   2.1%
68     32   1.5%
69     52   2.4%
70     45   2.0%
71     37   1.7%
72     38   1.7%
73     29   1.3%
74     33   1.5%
75     34   1.5%
76     57   2.6%
77     82   3.7%
78     73   3.3%
79     44   2.0%
80     32   1.5%
81     35   1.6%
82     33   1.5%
83     26   1.2%
84     30   1.4%
85     33   1.5%
86     37   1.7%
87     48   2.2%
88     70   3.2%
89    102   4.6%
90    124   5.6%
91    148   6.7%
92     84   3.8%

by the way this phone log has less then 600 qsos on 10m.
and about 1100 qsos on 20m.  i would think that the newer
checks would increase in number with more 10m contacts.

question -- if you are guest op what check do you use?
i have always used *my* check -- no matter what call i use.

of course the check only tells yo how long these folks have been hams.
i have a check of 76 -- but i am not too much of an old timer at age 29.

all this is fun and all but the numbers that are more intresting are
the numbers of folks that you work in each section.

cu in the phone ss

thanks again to Dwaine N5HD for the programs that do this.

george
wb5vzl aka w5kft (these days)
geoiii@wixer.bga.com

From: Keskinen Petri <oh3mep@cc.tut.fi> (Keskinen Petri)
Subject: RTTY-contest?

Hey!
Have any of You been ever on that European RTTY-contest, which is hold
next weekend? We are planning to do some M/S -operating, but is it
worth it? Couple fellows are very interested, but will there be
enough activity or will it be just boring? I have operated few
RTTY-qsos during peditions to OH0-land, and sure it was fun to have
Stateside and JA-pileups on rtty...
Is it possible to get any Stateside qsos on 40m (2 el yagi up 0.8
waves running with linear) ?

At least it's good test for systems before cqww.

Pete

From: Takao Kumagai <je1cka@asuka.aerospace-lab.go.jp> (Takao Kumagai)
Subject: Are you tired in contesting? (invitation to JIDX)

CQ WW DX PH was the another history.
SS cw score rumours are fullfiling the contest reflecter.
No more contest in this weekend?

Japan International DX contest PH will be held in this weekend.
We are expecting a lots of activities.
JA7RHJ still been offering the FREE round trip to Japan for the
top US Sop winner.
The past winners were; K3EST('88), AI7B('89), ?('90), N6AW('91)
& K3EST('92). Does anyone try to break these Zone3 barrier?

period:2300 Nov 12 ~ 2300 Nov 14(utc) work as many as JAs!
See the Contest Coral or John's column on CQ for the rules.

Tack JE1CKA

From: Wayne E. Wright" <71034.3544@CompuServe.COM (Wayne E. Wright)
Subject: W5XD SS. Find those sections?

565 Qs in 72 Sections in 17 hours with 100W.

How do you guys find all those sections? Ever since my first SS (20 yrs
ago) I've made a habit of scanning the results for folks with my QSO total
and fewer sections--almost never happens. STX is supposed to be an ideal
place for a sweep. I've only done it once--1992 phone. Enlighten me,
please? This year's absentees: WY AK NWT PQ PAC. Of those, the only one I
heard and couldn't work was AL7CQ on 15 Sunday afternoon. I spend less than
a third of my time CQing. Do the "rare" ones call you? or do you find them?

I'd like to see a new column in the results indicating how many sections
were only worked once. Then I'd hope to see lots of stations with numbers
in the 5 to 10 range so I could think they all worked the only guy who was
on from there :-) I'd hate to think I actually missed two or three stations
in each of the missing sections!

Wasn't planning for a big score and wasn't disappointed. Lucky I didn't;
after 3 years of good behavior, the 88ft guyed crankup had to make the 3
hour round trip twice in the same weekend for two independent
failures--once before the contest and once Sunday afternoon.

Memorable moments this year all had to do with call sign confusion: I share
all but a dah with two long time active SSer's: W4XD and W5XX. Its
especially fun when two of us pounce on the same CQer at the same
time--happened at least once this year with W5XX. I didn't note the call,
but you handled it flawlessly (i.e. you took me first:-). You know who you
are.

73,
Wayne, W5XD

From: Joel B Levin <levin@BBN.COM> (Joel B Levin)

|of course the check only tells yo how long these folks have been hams.
|i have a check of 76 -- but i am not too much of an old timer at age 29.

Fascinating list - thanks for posting it.

Last year I used '92, since that was when I got my Tech+.  Someone
pointed out that I could have been using '63, since I did have a
novice call that year . . .  maybe I should have.  After all, the
QCWA tells me I'm eligible on that account for membership, even
though I have now really been active only about 17 months.

Best & gl in SS(SSB) and WW(CW)

        /JBL   KD1ON

From: Ed Gilbert <eyg@hpnjlc.njd.hp.com> (Ed Gilbert)

WA2SRQ CW SS Low Power (A) Summary:

        80      352
        40      279
        20      230
        15       89

Total:  950 qsos, 76 sections, 144,400 points

Equipment:
        Icom 765
        Open-wire fed inverted V @ 70' for 80 and 40
        3-element Hygain monobanders for 20, 15, and 10 on a 50' tower

Great fun, lots of activity, and good conditions, especially on 80m.
I can see how a second radio would be very helpful, particularly on
Sunday, but the thought of all the work to procure another radio and
solve all the antenna, computer, headphones, keyer, etc. switching is
daunting.  Maybe just a second receiver would be of some benefit.
Anyone care to comment on an easy way to switch all this stuff?

Several times Sunday afternoon I caught myself copying the exchange
my own computer was sending and keying it into the log.  That's when
you know you're really ready for a time-off period!

Congrats to all the guys at the top with those awsome qso totals.

73, Ed  WA2SRQ

From: Jay Kesterson K0GU x6826 <jayk@hpxxx.fc.hp.com> (Jay Kesterson K0GU x6826)
Subject: More checks worked in ss

Broke down the 610 Qs made last weekend into five years groups.

89-93   49   8.0%
84-88   20   3.3%
79-83   20   3.3%
74-78   59   9.7%               80 = 23
69-73   66  10.8%               40 = 110
64-68   89  14.6%               20 = 285
59-63   97  15.9%               15 = 192
54-58  111  18.2%
49-53   45   7.4%
44-48   13   2.1%
39-43   14   2.3%
34-38   18   3.0%
29-33    7   1.1%
24-28    0
19-24    2   0.3%

Very bad results in the 79 to 88 range. Almost worked as many in the
34-38 group. Oldest check received was from a N3 with a three letter
suffix.

73, Jay K0GU                   jayk@fc.hp.com

From: alan@dsd.es.com (Alan Brubaker) (Alan Brubaker)
Subject: Logging Maritima e Mobiles in CQWW

Hi Gary...actually, I think you get QSO points and Zone credit, but since
it is a /MM, you would get no country multiplier credit.

Alan, K6XO

alan@dsd.es.com

"Life's too short for QRP."  -  N6TU

From: alan@dsd.es.com (Alan Brubaker) (Alan Brubaker)
Subject: Multi single ethics

Pat writes:

>I think that if someone answers your CQ, then you can ethically move them to
>any frequency you can talk them into going to.  On the other hand, breaking
>a pile and having the station QSY is really upsetting to the other stations
>calling in the pile.

>I've never seen any of the classier op's do this -- and I have always made
>a point of remembering the op's that did.

I have heard this a few times, but one instance that I vividly recall:

1979, CQWW CW @ AI6V...15 Meters, during the Saturday morning run - I run
across a really juicy African in zone 37 with a big pileup. One of the big
east coast multis snags him and asks him to QSY to 20. The RJA QSYs for the
BECM and leaves the rest of us hung out to dry! Boneheads...

Alan, K6XO

alan@dsd.es.com

"Life's too short for QRP."  -  N6TU