CQ-Contest

$1000 for 1st Place

Subject: $1000 for 1st Place
From: sherratt@VNET.IBM.COM (sherratt@VNET.IBM.COM)
Date: Thu Jun 2 11:15:13 1994
The $1000 prize would just go to one of the big guns on the East Coast
anyway....and start another longwinded thread here....ho hum..........
73, Scott N6VB     sherratt@vnet.ibm.com

From: Alan Kaul <kaul@netcom.com> (Alan Kaul)

Instead of a cash prize, or a transceiver -- how about a plane ticket for
an easy DX-pedition to a location with minimum hassle for license,
operating, etc.?  If we want to instill contesting -- what better
inducement than an opportunity to be a rare one!  And tickets to a not-so-rare
location (ie KP4, VP9, etc) won't break the contest committee either.

                     [<Alan Kaul, W6RCL>] kaul@netcom.com

From: MAVES.AWS@hqaws.safb.af.mil (Maves, Capt Brian) (Maves, Capt Brian)
Subject: Japanese Contesting Info

Hi

I'm leaving this fall for a three year stay in Japan.  How about some
info on contesting there.  Specifically, I would like to know about
contest clubs, newletters available , multi-op stations that may host
foreign ops, and maybe people to know or contact.

I'll be in the "lesser traveled, snow covered" north country, about 300
miles from Tokyo.  That will probably put me far from the center of
activity.

Please send any info you have to me direct.

Thanks in advance, Brian.

 NB9T "deep in the hole"
maves@hqaws.safb.af.mil

From: barry@w2up.wells.com (Barry Kutner) (Barry Kutner)
Subject: WPX rules?

Since I am in 3 land, can I sign W2UP/NQ3 or some other exotic prefix?
Or, must I just do W2UP/3, or no portable?
Tnx/Barry

Barry N. Kutner, W2UP       Usenet/Internet: barry@w2up.wells.com
Newtown, PA                 Packet Radio: W2UP @ WB3JOE.#EPA.PA.USA.NA
                            Packet Cluster: W2UP >K2TW (FRC)

From: Dave Feldman 784-8376 <dgf@meu.edu> (Dave Feldman 784-8376)
Subject: Test please ignore

Test please ignore

From: barry@w2up.wells.com (Barry Kutner) (Barry Kutner)

Alan Kaul <kaul@netcom.com> writes:

> Instead of a cash prize, or a transceiver -- how about a plane ticket for
> an easy DX-pedition to a location with minimum hassle for license,
> operating, etc.?  If we want to instill contesting -- what better
> inducement than an opportunity to be a rare one!  And tickets to a not-so-rar
> location (ie KP4, VP9, etc) won't break the contest committee either.
>
>                    [<Alan Kaul, W6RCL>] kaul@netcom.com

There's enough complaining about inequitable log checking, cheating, etc.
when we just do it for the "fun of it." Imagine how bad it would get if
there were cash or other material prizes involved.

From: Steve Harrison <sharriso@sysplan.com> (Steve Harrison)

Does anybody know whether awarding tangible material prizes for winning
contests might be against the FCC rules? Is there any regulation anywhere
covering this type of situation? There was never any outcry that I heard
about guys receiving the paid trips to Bermuda for winning the VP9
contest, but that could have been because such prizes were so few and far
between...

Also, how is a contest committee to get the funds for prizes? Simply
requiring an entry fee to be qualified to be awarded a prize won't work;
none of the pipsqueaks will bother. And requiring an entry fee of all
entrants will kill the contest faster than you can say "BOO!". I would
never pay, because why should I contribute to a free trip for some
big-gun contest winner who already has enough money to put together a
winning station, when I can't even afford to buy a pair of new 572Bs, much less
replace my aging TS120S main HF contest radio?

Steve, KO0U/4 <sharrison@sysplan.com>

From: ballen@morgan.com (Brooke Allen) (Brooke Allen)
Subject: new hams/new contesters

What if the FCC said that there were to be a new "sub-novice", no test
(code or theory) license, which could use only 5 watts on 40 channels?
All hams could use the band, but we must all stay within 5 watts
and no VFOs. Only voice (AM and SSB) were allowed. In fact, you have to
use specially made rigs on this band, but they are dirt cheap. Would
you buy one of these rigs and go work some of these guys? Would you
introduce them to the greater wonders of hamdom? Would you support
a "sub-novice roundup?" Doesn't this band already exist?

Here's a wacky idea for getting new people into ham radio and into
contesting as well. But first I need to confess my ignorance on a
few subjects.

How does CB work these days? I've heard the FCC has given up on
licensing CBrs. How does a CBer identify himself now? However it is done,
is their any reason I can't also mention my ham call?

So here is the idea:

What if ham's started treating 11 meters as if it were a special band
for these "sub-novices?" What if we went down there,
with legal CB rigs, and had ham-like QSOs, you know, identify yourself,
refrain from obscenity, discuss (in English) things like DX on the other
bands, new modes, computers, repeaters, whatever.

What if we had contests on 11 meters?

Ism`t this already legal? Couldn't we just start now?

Is it worse than what's going on there now?

Might it not introduce ham radio to an already qualified target market?

Could you afford to ignore the new 11 meter activity in a contest like
Field Day any more than you can ignore the 10 meter novice phone sub-band?

73, n2ba, Brooke Allen, ballen@morgan.com

From: len@ariel.coe.neu.edu (Leonard Kay) (Leonard Kay)

>>Since I am in 3 land, can I sign W2UP/NQ3 or some other exotic prefix?
>>Or, must I just do W2UP/3, or no portable?
>>Tnx/Barry

We had a discussion going at KY1H during the contest about this. Someone
(NCN, was it you?) said that you can't do that if you're from the
continental 48 to begin with, but foreign (DXCC-wise) you can, so that
KH6XYZ/NQ3 or G0XYZ/NQ3 is allowed, but W2UP/NQ3 isn't.
We weren't sure, though. I'd like to know if there's a definitive
answer to this, too....

Len KB2R
len@ariel.coe.neu.edu

From: H. L. Serra" <hlserra@teetot.acusd.edu (H. L. Serra)

On Thu, 2 Jun 1994, Alan Kaul wrote:

> Instead of a cash prize, or a transceiver -- how about a plane ticket for
> an easy DX-pedition to a location with minimum hassle for license,
> operating, etc.?  If we want to instill contesting -- what better
> inducement than an opportunity to be a rare one!  And tickets to a
> not-so-rare
> location (ie KP4, VP9, etc) won't break the contest committee either.

Even better, lotsa guys have frequent flyer miles cumulated which could be
used for such a ticket. Probably better to include the lucky newbee in an
operation run by others so the whole burden doesn't fall on the new guy
right away. Larry N6AZE

From: ANDY MITCHELL, VA3CW" <AMITCHELL@GC1.GEORCOLL.ON.CA (ANDY MITCHELL, VA3CW)
Subject: $1000 - you can't put a price on fun!

Instead of dangling the carrot of cash in front of "would-be" contesters,
why don't we just show them how much fun it really is (or isn't!).  Whether
you're on the East coast or West coast and whether you're a big gun or little
pistol shouldn't much matter.  What does matter is that you did the best that
you could.  What you put into it you'll get out of it.  I'll never capture
SO NA but I have a helluva good time trying to outpace my last rates and
an even better time pulling one over on the propagation gods!

Contesting isn't too much different than chasing Honor Roll.  It's a matter
of personal pride and achievement.  You can cheat for DXCC by doctoring cards,
you can use lists and nets if you want but when you finallyy get
to hang the plaque on your shack wall, only you will know how real the
achievement is.

73
Andy